LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A day to forget

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A day to forget

So I'll get to the lt1 part in a minute but WOW what a day to forget. Since it's the holiday weekend and I live 1 mile from the gulf of mexico I thought it would be a perfect weekend to get out on the water. I will make this short. Basically my boat is a 21 foot 2008 sea pro with a 2008 merc 150 EFI. We head off shore to do some diving. Boat ran fine last weekend and then yesterday I kept getting alarms. 5 miles off shore I pulled the motor hood to inspect and realized my belge kept kicking on pumping water out of the boat at the same time I was working on the engine. Come to find out I was taking on water due to my live well pump snapping off. Thank god my seacock valve was working. Shut the valve and had to putz in at 5 mph so my engine alarm wouldn't go off. Get near a barrier island in 3 feet of water and decided to take one more look under the motor hood. Throw out the anchor and the clevit fitting that ties the rope to the anchor chain snaps due to a casting problem. Loose the anchor. After a few minutes searching we find the $150 anchor and chain. putz back in and while on the way in I told my wife "this day can't end soon enough." "Something else is going to happen." Get the boat on the trailer and take it home. At this point I am suprised that the truck didn't end up in the water at the ramp or the boat hasn't fallen off the trailer. I went to the store to get a new clasp, Live well pump and a couple of things to see if I can fix the engine. As we sit in the parking lot I go to foll up the window on my wifes 2004 grand Prix and SNAP!! CRASH!! . the rear window regulator "Cable driven" Decided to snap. LOL. After spending over $100 bucks at RIP OFF MARINE, or west marine we go to the car parts store and the regulator cost $140 LOL. I worked on the Mercury outboard for the rest of the day and think The stupid electronic oil pump is failing LOL. I have to take it to a mercury dealer next week so my fun weekend just got really expensive and I didn't even get a lap dance out of it. lol. I am sitting here debating on weather to take the Camaro out of the garage or leave it in there in fear that I am going to end up with a Blown engine, Blowed up trans or a the rear end blowing up on it lo l. Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it rains it pours sometimes..
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i can tell you from years of boating and using a 2 stroke outboard, disconnect that oilpump and mix your own oil if it is a 2-stroke... those pumps are notorious about going out.. my stepbrother smoked a 250 mercury because the oilpump went out, boat was about a year old..

when your messing with a boat safety and mechanical durability/dependability are the main priority.. i use to duck hunt alot and it was bad because we were out there in below freezing weather on the ohio river , storms also move up the river pretty fast, so our boats had to be in order or you could stall out or something and about all you could hope for was another hunter helping you to shore, to much current for paddles, and to cold to swim for it...
Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brucer
i can tell you from years of boating and using a 2 stroke outboard, disconnect that oilpump and mix your own oil if it is a 2-stroke... those pumps are notorious about going out.. my stepbrother smoked a 250 mercury because the oilpump went out, boat was about a year old..

when your messing with a boat safety and mechanical durability/dependability are the main priority.. i use to duck hunt alot and it was bad because we were out there in below freezing weather on the ohio river , storms also move up the river pretty fast, so our boats had to be in order or you could stall out or something and about all you could hope for was another hunter helping you to shore, to much current for paddles, and to cold to swim for it...
I hear ya on dependability. Did your brother have a mercury warrenty on that 250? If so what did mercury do?

I am that way. I do a ton of checks before I go out and I knew when I bought the damn thing I was gonna regret it having a mercury on it. I have had a couple others and they have always been a pain in the ***. Why they use an electrical pump...I will never understand. It is a 2 cycle but It is fuel injection and I have a 53 gallon tank in this thing so mixing it will be more trouble than it's worth just because 2 cycle oil will seperate a bit and fall to the bottom. It also uses a water sensor on the engine fuel filter and I have seen stories of that stupid sensor thinking the oil is water and also activating the Gardian system which cuts power and it wont run right.

I was just out tring to fix that broken live well pump and OF CORSE the stupid live well drain pipe was in the way so I lightley move it to try and not break it and BAM... and now it broke.... I quite for the weekend. It is flat out pissing me off. I try to do right and buy American or what ever and it does not seem to matter anymore. The WORLD produces flat out **** anymore... or I just have the absolute worst luck with parts I have ever know anyone to have. I expect some problems to arise in these areas but when it's like this I just have to walk away before I set fire to the damn thing. I love to hear what ended up happening with your brothers 250. If they covered it or not because I am going to be in the same situation next week when I take mine in. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

By the way for those of you reading who don't know... Owning a Mercury is alot like owning an LT1. You love them when they run right But... You curse they to the end of the earth when they don't run right lol.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you think your merc is bad how about chrysler marine
Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

BOAT is an acronym...stands for "break out another thousand".
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You didn't break out the flippie floppies so no wonder you had a bad day! You can't be ONNA BOAT without your FLIPPIE FLOPPIES!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

they say it comes in 3
Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

LOL Well I think I got 4 or 5 in one day. lol
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You didn't break out the flippie floppies so no wonder you had a bad day! You can't be ONNA BOAT without your FLIPPIE FLOPPIES!
I cant wear flippie floppies... Bad feet I really wish I could but I have not been able to wear them since I was 23 over 10years ago. WOW it has been a long time. Taking the boat to the Merc dealer tuesday to see wtf is going on. I finally got the pump in today and now I have to reseal the livewell. Ordered a window motor and regulator from advanced on saturday afternoon and they said it would be in today but I guess I'll have to wait yet another day to fix the wifes car. lol Is the weekend over yet. Took the Camaro out and it has a miss again and I think my LPP header is leaking at the collector again so I am acumulating mount shitmore here. Dosn't matter what I buy I have nothing put problems. For once I would like to buy a part and install it with out the headach. Who am I kidding lol. Anyone know how to test the ICM on 97 LT1? I need to do that as well if that header isn't leaking.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

i always heard the 2 best days to own a boat are
1 when ya get it
the second is the day ya sell it

Quick Reply: A day to forget