LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hooker slip-fit primary leaking issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker slip-fit primary leaking issues?

I have been trying to trace this exhaust leak I've had for a while on the driver side. At first the culprit was the header gasket (or so I thought - it was good that I replaced it though because it was starting to crack). I put in a new gasket and I can still smell (eyes burn, too) exhaust from the driver side engine bay/header area. I can also hear an audible exhaust leak (that infamous tick). It does not leak from the header flange or from the collector - to - x pipe flanges. Has anyone had issues with the Hooker/Jethot slip-fit primary tube leaking? It sits pretty loose in there when I remove the first two header bolts (the primary slips right out, no effort). Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I have been trying to trace this exhaust leak I've had for a while on the driver side. At first the culprit was the header gasket (or so I thought - it was good that I replaced it though because it was starting to crack). I put in a new gasket and I can still smell (eyes burn, too) exhaust from the driver side engine bay/header area. I can also hear an audible exhaust leak (that infamous tick). It does not leak from the header flange or from the collector - to - x pipe flanges. Has anyone had issues with the Hooker/Jethot slip-fit primary tube leaking? It sits pretty loose in there when I remove the first two header bolts (the primary slips right out, no effort). Any ideas?
Maybe a hose clamp to tighten up the "slip fit"??
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think there is any sure fire way to do it. Hi temp RTV works but will eventually burn off and need to be replaced. Clamp wont work, tubing is too strong and you will never get it apart.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine leaked there too no matter what I did...

So last time I had the motor out on the K member I had it welded it together....no more leak.... But that may not be an option for you...

i don't think that they make those stainless bands that small....
Old 09-06-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah.. I just hope that's where it actually leaks from. I can't think of anywhere else. So copper RTV or something equivalent won't hold up at all?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used rtv on mine and the tick is gone and it has been holding for two months
Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Sweet.. I'll give that a shot I suppose. Tired of burning my eyes and choking every time i stand in front of the car lol

Quick Reply: Hooker slip-fit primary leaking issues?