LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

are 1.6 rocker arms worth it? read more inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post are 1.6 rocker arms worth it? read more inside

I was just wondering what are some performance modifications that wont affect daily driveability too much or cost way too much but increase the power output my car would be? are 1.6 rocker arms worth it? how much power do they add and what does it do? could i install it or how hard would it be to install? i have a '96 Firebird Formula m6 all stock except for pacesetter headers with 3 inch ory and slp loudmouth 1 and an intake. I'm doing 4.10 gears next but afterwords I'm not sure what i could do? give me some ideas!

what are some other things that are considered bolt-ons?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if your car is stock it will make your cam have a higher lift and will better the performance. I would definately do the 4.10 gear before anything. Then the next mod I would suggest is a slick or good drag radial. That will make your car way more funner on the street or track.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fire-chickens
I was just wondering what are some performance modifications that wont affect daily driveability too much or cost way too much but increase the power output my car would be? are 1.6 rocker arms worth it? how much power do they add and what does it do? could i install it or how hard would it be to install? i have a '96 Firebird Formula m6 all stock except for pacesetter headers with 3 inch ory and slp loudmouth 1 and an intake. I'm doing 4.10 gears next but afterwords I'm not sure what i could do? give me some ideas!

what are some other things that are considered bolt-ons?
power output, not much.
are they worth it? yeah
What do they do ? they open the valves more then stock (1.5) rockers. some would say its like giving the cam more duration.. but im no rocker genius.

A good tune would be worth more IMO
Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

I would honest do RR if your going to tear into the top end of the car.. For example, mine got done with the new heads, and cam.. It only made sense because the car was apart.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

You are going to love the 4.10 gear ratio. One of my favorite mods. I definitely recommend sticking with a GM brand gear. Rockers will add some additional power but I would honestly wait and upgrade them if you decided to do a cam swap. Other then that, you could always look into some UD Pulleys, EWP, TB Bypass kit, air foil and 160 stat. Every little thing adds up.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately!:d
Old 09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

where do i find the "GM" brand gears?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fire-chickens
where do i find the "GM" brand gears?
MOTIVE gear= GM
Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for sticking with a GM gear

like these guys say, full bolts ons is the starting platform for any build pretty much. Since you've got exhaust covered do

gears (4.10)
cold air intake/lid/ram air (whichever you want/can afford)
A good mail order tune or dyno tune

it all depends of course what your goals are to go from there.

Stay away from aftermarket mass airflow sensors and underdrive pullies, they are a gimmick.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

yes to rockers, and lose the loud mouth 1 junk imo
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
MOTIVE gear= GM
False. Motives are not a OEM GM gear.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Dont care to debate ,it does not really matter what ever the manufactuer as long as its the POS rear the car came with it will **** the gears eventually,especially with 4.10s.... Motives are quieter too!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Dont care to debate ,it does not really matter what ever the manufactuer as long as its the POS rear the car came with it will **** the gears eventually,especially with 4.10s.... Motives are quieter too!
LMAO. Where are you getting your info from because it's WRONG. The Motive brand gears are well known for whining and the GM gears are MUCH more quiet. Do some research bro because the info you are giving out is crap. Call up Jawsgear and he will even tell you that if you want a quiet gear, then GM is the way to go.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Launching!

It does matter in certain senarios what brand one should go with. Have you ever read through the gear/axle section?? You need to because you don't know **** about what a good gear set is. Motives are one of the loudest on the market. GM gears have pretty much zero whine. You need to get the facts straight.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
LMAO. Where are you getting your info from because it's WRONG. The Motive brand gears are well known for whining and the GM gears are MUCH more quiet. Do some research bro because the info you are giving out is crap. Call up Jawsgear and he will even tell you that if you want a quiet gear, then GM is the way to go.
Exactly! My motive 3.73's have a slight whine between 40-50mph only when your holding at that speed... If you let off the pedal, accelerate, or drive above/ below 40-50 mph, the gears are quiet. The guy I bought the car from had 3 sets put in and he said each set made the same noise. What I can;t understand is why the dumbass tried 3 sets of the same gear lol. I would of went back with gm gears after the first set!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Launching!

+3 on gm gears. My old set of Motive 3.90's howled like no tomorrow. Gm is the only way to go for a truely quiet gear. Some guy's need serious help when it comes to product knowledge.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

The way I understand it. GM gears are made by AAM (American Axle manufactoring) and are 2 cut gears that runt the .004" - .006" ultra tight backlash. I was also told that the Yukon gears, at least several years ago, were also made by AAM and they clearly wanted to be set at .004" BL IIRC.

Randys ring and pinion sells the Yukon gears plust they have a lifetime anything goes warranty for maybe another $20.00 or so. These gears were very quiet and rather easy to set up for a 10 bolt. They however did not have the beefier teeth that are found on a Motive performance gear so I will guess they are not quite as strong. Regardless the two keys for quiet gears are ensuring you get a gear set made by AAM and also making sure they are installed right.

Motive has supplied GM with gears but not in the case of the 4th gen f-body from what I have been told.

BTW
Old 09-07-2010, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Not to be a dick, but do some reading through the gear section and better yet give Jaws a call. It's poor product knowledge and feedback like this that steers folks in the wrong direction.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles-15/

http://www.jawsgear.com/
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The way I understand it. GM gears are made by AAM (American Axle manufactoring) and are 2 cut gears that runt the .004" - .006" ultra tight backlash. I was also told that the Yukon gears, at least several years ago, were also made by AAM and they clearly wanted to be set at .004" BL IIRC.

Randys ring and pinion sells the Yukon gears plust they have a lifetime anything goes warranty for maybe another $20.00 or so. These gears were very quiet and rather easy to set up for a 10 bolt. They however did not have the beefier teeth that are found on a Motive performance gear so I will guess they are not quite as strong. Regardless the two keys for quiet gears are ensuring you get a gear set made by AAM and also making sure they are installed right.

Motive has supplied GM with gears but not in the case of the 4th gen f-body from what I have been told.

BTW
Good info! Im going to try adding a 1/8 turn to the pinion nut because I think mine have too much slack. If that don't help, then Ill be getting a set of GM 3.73's
Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Good info! Im going to try adding a 1/8 turn to the pinion nut because I think mine have too much slack. If that don't help, then Ill be getting a set of GM 3.73's
I doubt it will help and you will only increase pinion preload. Sounds like the normal 10 bolt whine that is easy to hear due to the design of the f-body hatch area.

Best thing to do when setting pinion preload is use solid spacers and not crush sleeves.

With a solid spacer, you can replace the yoke, seal without out messing up pinion preload. You can crank the nut down Bubba tight as well. Crush sleeves are the quick way to do it and they are not frogiving when a yoke or a seal is needing to be replaced plus they can collapse under very extreme conditions.

They are a PITA to set up but worth it in the end.

Quick Reply: are 1.6 rocker arms worth it? read more inside