LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 z28 wont start unless wot,and acts like timing is off

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 z28 wont start unless wot,and acts like timing is off

I have a 94 z28 with head mods ported intake and just switched cams from having the lt4 hot cam kit in it to the cc 305 cam in it now. When you try to start the car it acts like the timing is off because its fighting the starter. The only way it will start is if you put the throttle to wide open. And the car will not idle at all you have to keep it running the whole time. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

check the sensor on the water pump and make sure it isnt broken my 93 done that and it was that sensor
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Teching In

i replaced the coolant temp sensor on the water pump and it still same thing. Has detination and wouldnt idle i unplugged the sensor on the right side of the throttle body and it idled just like its suppose to. I than shut it off and tried to restart it and it went back to not idling and it still starts like the timing is off. When i did the cam swap i put it at dot up on crank gear and dot down on cam gear. Still have no idea on what the heck is going on with it.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

I had the same thing going on after a cam swap when I parked mine last year for the winter, got frustrated and just figured I would figure it out when I put my LE2's on.. then I messed my back up and lost all ambition to work on it, next year I figure.. and I should really check the water pump sensor when I do lol. I can tell you its probably NOT a clogged cat like many people suggested to me so I wouldn't waste the time pulling the exhaust. GL I'll def be keeping an eye on this thread
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

oyeah I dont know why I didnt mention it yesterday but the prime suspect for me is that I put the cam dowel in the wrong hole in the opti
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Teching In

im still having the same problem pulled the pcm out and pulled it apart its all clean but got to looking and on the ribbon the clear silicone looking stuff looked like it got really hot and started to drip off the ribbon it was doing that there and on the edges of the hard drives or whatever you want to call them. I havent ever seen another one do that or be like that on the inside so im thinking the computer is no good. But still not sure if the computer was no good wldnt thing that the car would start or even try to. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Check you MAss air flow it might be bad, unplug it and see if it gets better

Quick Reply: 94 z28 wont start unless wot,and acts like timing is off