LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help, my car wont run!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help, my car wont run!

Well last week i was putting on my new bfgs, mounted and then lowered the car from the lift, cranked up, cranks like crazy, nothing. was running good to this point. checked fuel pressure and was at 40. pulled a plug wire and put a test plug on and had some spark, but not really strong. scanned it and all it had was a low resolution signal to dist. So i cleared it and let it sit thinking the opti is dead. 6 hrs ltr my dad fired it right up. so next day i get it, fire it up, 2 minutes of idling and it shuts off, same thing. recheck fuel and spark, same. no codes. did some research and seen that the ICM goes bad. so today i put a new coil and module on and fix a ground strap on there going to frame that was messed up, and still nothing... my security light is always on, but has been since i got the car. if it was VATS it wouldnt crank at all right? any ideas here? i need a car for work and my dad lent me his car, but i need it running to drive or trade in cause it will be my down payment on another ride.. any tips/info greatly appreciated...
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be getting fuel pressure but is your injectors opening/closing, or could they be clogged?

Have you checked the condition of the opti spark harness, maybe it has a poor connection and giving bad signal?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

well havent checked that, but my crank seal is leaking and there is a decent amount of crud/oil built up down there. ill check it out tomorrow
Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

well went to the shop, and it fired right up. idled great until it got to about 190-195 temp, then shut off. wouldnt restart until it cooled off then same thing.. assuming the opti must be bad.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DYING BREED
well went to the shop, and it fired right up. idled great until it got to about 190-195 temp, then shut off. wouldnt restart until it cooled off then same thing.. assuming the opti must be bad.
Could also be the ICM and/or coil. Any electronic component that gets hot can fail. Have the ICM tested at a parts store to see if it's bad (preferrably while it is still hot). Both of these items are far less labor intensive than an optispark and are far less expensive as well.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, i just put brand new ones on as a shot over the opti and its the same result.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My very first opti did this. It would run cold and shut off when it got hot. I checked the spark immediatley after it shut off and had no spark out the opti.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i think im gonna have to find time to tear it apart, but with work, packing, trying to close on a house and keep my near due date wife happy and calm and not pop the baby out 4 wks early, im kind of at wits end. i may sell as is, but would be easier if it was running.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Staging Lane

If it is the opti, just follow the directions on shbox. I did my first one in late Nov, freezing my *** off, and it only took about half a day. I kept going back in to warm up. Wife should understand if you tell her.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

well someone recommended i try changing the coolant temp sensor. they had the same issues. so since only a couple of bucks and a few minutes labor, ill try that first. ill keep you guys posted
Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

If you confirm its the opti we have competitively priced well reviewed units.

Make sure its what you need first though.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

well changed the coolant temp sensor, the one on the water pump that reads to the ecm. now it starts better, runs and doenst shut off at 190 like before. now, as i rev it up and down, easy, not slamming it up and down, it stalls after a few of those and wont restart. let it sit a few minutes and it fires up and idles. so i dont know if the opti is heating up and crapping, or a fuel pressure issue. ill have to run a pressure gauge on it and do it again, but im wondering if its a weak spark and it floods or what. think its gonna go for sale as is, with all new parts ive done and its a 6 speed, i dont have time to fiddle with it. its a 96 six speed car. good project.

Quick Reply: Help, my car wont run!