LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tuner cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tuner cat

Is anyone using the tuner cat software ? Is it worth trying out on my own or should I just go get it tuned ?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you understand fuel injection and are patient enough to put inthe time to really get it dialed in then by all means tune it yourself. Nobody cares how well your car runs as much as you do. Even dyno tuners focus the majority of their time on the WOT. Depending on your setup if it is fairly mild just go for it. If it is extensively modded I feel the best bet depending on experience level is to start with a mail order tune and tweak that
Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default Ed wright!

I heard ed wright of tulsa oklahoma is like the tuner cat MASTER!

he should be on here!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the novelty of all the little things that anyone will want to do like adjust rev limmiter, change shift points for an auto, delete EGR, AIR, VATS, ect wear off almost immediately.
if you haven't already; start datalogging your car. you will eventually gain a good understanding of everything in the display and you will learn really fast if you have the patience for what it takes to tune.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have a 94 or 95 i would suggest tunerproRT version5 beta, its free, you will also need an aldl cable... you will also need tunercats winflash program for uploading and downloading .bin files...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevo9389
the novelty of all the little things that anyone will want to do like adjust rev limmiter, change shift points for an auto, delete EGR, AIR, VATS, ect wear off almost immediately.
if you haven't already; start datalogging your car. you will eventually gain a good understanding of everything in the display and you will learn really fast if you have the patience for what it takes to tune.
What do you mean "wear off immediately"
Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam95Maro
That unless you are SERIOUS about tuning, you are wasting time/money cause there's only so much a layperson can do without serious knowledge.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i was referring to how quickly the novelty wears off on the easy stuff like deleting codes and messing with the rev limmiter and shift points because most of it you only have to mess with once.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Well I would like to learn and be able to do myself also I really for now just need shift points programmed after gettin it rebuilt and built up shift kit upgrade clutches etc.etc. it threw shift points off so for now i just need it for that I was wondering if it has more capabilities etc. Then just that and how hard it would be to use
Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Its not that hard to use I just got it and I am learning how to use it, a frist all the different tables are confusing. Its like taking apart a motor, it takes time to gain the knowledge and knowledge to make it work. If your willing to take the time to learn then go for it, it sounds like your car isn't mod'd much, like mine, so you could do what I'm doing, slowly tune it as you mod it. Like I want to do heads and cam and full exhaust, but that will be a while down the road, so until then I'm just gonna play around with it and hopefully not **** up my car in the process.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by idformula
Its not that hard to use I just got it and I am learning how to use it, a frist all the different tables are confusing. Its like taking apart a motor, it takes time to gain the knowledge and knowledge to make it work. If your willing to take the time to learn then go for it, it sounds like your car isn't mod'd much, like mine, so you could do what I'm doing, slowly tune it as you mod it. Like I want to do heads and cam and full exhaust, but that will be a while down the road, so until then I'm just gonna play around with it and hopefully not **** up my car in the process.
Yeah im not heavily modded at all i have race built trans pacesetter lt's and ory SLP loudmouth 1 exhaust SLP intake and trick flow ceramic elbow most of money spent in the car as of now has been suspension got UMI subframe connectors lower control arms relocators torque arm upper control arms etc. so not much mechanical wise but i would love to be able to tune myself and to learn it ... with your "hopefully not **** up my car in the process" isnt there a way to wipe it and put it back to stock settings?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah im not heavily modded at all i have race built trans pacesetter lt's and ory SLP loudmouth 1 exhaust SLP intake and trick flow ceramic elbow most of money spent in the car as of now has been suspension got UMI subframe connectors lower control arms relocators torque arm upper control arms etc. so not much mechanical wise but i would love to be able to tune myself and to learn it ... with your "hopefully not **** up my car in the process" isnt there a way to wipe it and put it back to stock settings?
Not if you put a hole in a piston from running too lean because you didn't know what you're doing. If you are interested in programming I suggest reading the following two articles about 100 times each, for starters.

http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/
http://www.injuneer.com/ScanMast.html
Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the artiicles to read above. Tunercats is an awesome program for the price. Tuning is easy to learn. Just do plenty of online research. And by all means...ONLY MAKE MINOR ADJUSTMENTS AT A TIME.. Every once in a while i would go overboard and change so many things at once , id forget what i had done.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Well thanks guys a did like 4 hours of reading on those articles lol and i think i will be buying if not for anything else i can take it to a shop close by and they can use to tune
Old 09-17-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like playing with tunercat alot, I have gotten several tunes from friends and piddled with them, remember to take baby steps ,small changes until you have a good feel of things. and allways keep your previous work saved and some base tunes saved as well.

Quick Reply: tuner cat