LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is the problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the problem.

Okay lets get a little history about the car. 1994 25th anni. T/A 5.7. Okay I bought this car last year and drove it for about 600 miles before I was deployed. while I was overseas had a LT4 cam kit installed and it was also tuned for the cam. The motor has been bored .020 , and all was rebuilt back in 2005, along with the tranny(have reciepts) also mileage was noted and it has around 4 k on the rebuild.. I am having a concern about it using engine oil, plugs look good, no leaks, no blowby, but it does smoke when letting off the pedal when I tack it up to 5 or 6 k. But runs well..
Is this a head problem? could the problem be fixed by having the heads rebuilt. Any help on this mattter, would be helpful..

Thanxs,
Ski
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Possibly valve seals. Look very closely at all other seals to see if there are any leaks. Seals could have dried out from not being started. How long did it sit while you were deployed? Thanks for serving BTW...
Old 09-20-2010, 02:55 AM
Staging Lane

The valve seals were just replaced with the cam install about 3 weeks ago. Could it be valve guides? It has new oil pan gasket,timing cover gasket, valve cover gaskets and the block has no sign of oil leaks.

After the cam install. I put about 800 miles on it and checked the oil and it needed about two quarts...

Last edited by ski7541; 09-20-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

if you just did seals it is very possible that one or more of the guides is starting to go south...backing off on the throttle and seeing smoke is usually a symptom of bad guides or seals.......did you ever rebuild the heads or are they stock? also could possibly be an intake manifold gasket.....when you back off the throttle theres alot of vacuum in the runners and if you got a gasket leaking into the valley it can suck oil in there too......i had an issue similar to this on my motor.....all i could get was stock gaskets (sunday at the track) and i trimmed them a bit too thin lol
Old 09-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

Heads were redone according to the paperwork, surfaced, pocket ported, 3 angle valve job.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Launching!

I had an oil control problem on a big block a while back. I replaced the teflon valve seals with viton. No more oil control problem. What type of seals are on your heads?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

Well, it sounds like to me the heads are going to come off and get rebuilt...someday, when I get home and have time to do it..I s there any thing else I need to checkout while the heads are being rebuilt? Any good machine shops in central Tx, area....

Thanks,
SKI
Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
if you just did seals it is very possible that one or more of the guides is starting to go south...backing off on the throttle and seeing smoke is usually a symptom of bad guides or seals.......did you ever rebuild the heads or are they stock? also could possibly be an intake manifold gasket.....when you back off the throttle theres alot of vacuum in the runners and if you got a gasket leaking into the valley it can suck oil in there too......i had an issue similar to this on my motor.....all i could get was stock gaskets (sunday at the track) and i trimmed them a bit too thin lol
This^^^

Or check your pcv valve and or pcv system.

Quick Reply: What is the problem.