LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car running weird, may have gotten the opti wet?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running weird, may have gotten the opti wet?

Alright i just went down the road to pay the gas bill and low and behold, rainstorm. Anyway i didn't notice anything until i pulled into a store to turn around having passed the gas place. I noticed when i went to pull out it was idling kinda low and had a slight hesitation but nothing major. Well i payed the bill and as i went to pull out it did the same but almost wanted to die, push in the clutch and it revs fine try and move and it was almost like it was running out of gas, which i first though actually.

Well i pulled out on the road gave it some gas and it finally kinda kicked and started driving normal. Drove it all the way home and the i could tell its kinda missing but not really trying to die. I popped the hood and the front of the motor isn't wet nor is the opti, but i know that doesn't mean much. I'm going to go check the fuel pressure in a minute just to be sure the pump isn't dying but i wanted to see what you guys think.

The opti is less than a year old and is a summit acdelco.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me. It turned out it was those POS elite sparkplug wires arcing when they were not dry.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Same thing happened to me. It turned out it was those POS elite sparkplug wires arcing when they were not dry.
Could be i'm just gonna let it sit and dry off for the time being, turns out my buddy still has my fuel pressure gauge so i can't check that right now
Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Alright well i went out and cranked it and it started fine and idled fine. Backed up just fine and pulled forward just fine. So i drove it about a half mile down the road and back and it took off just fine and drove pretty much fine but i could feel the slight hesitation/miss while driving. Pulled in to turn around and it was idling low, ~500rpms. It revved pretty good put would miss bad if i tried to hold a certain rpm.

So i went to drive it back and it was hesitating really bad, it has the symptoms of running put of gas (yes it has gas in it). So i got home pulled up and it was still idling low, but when you kill it and crank kit back up it idles and revs fine. Its like it messes up when you drive it any amount of distance besides backing up and pulling forward.

Any ideas?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How old is your fuel filter?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG I had the Elite plug wires too. POS does them no justice at all. I had sparks shooting out everywhere.

IMHO, wires are more likely the problem than the opti just like speed said.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BTC
How old is your fuel filter?
It has been replaced recently, within this year i know.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
OMG I had the Elite plug wires too. POS does them no justice at all. I had sparks shooting out everywhere.

Yea i'm hoping so, like i said i'm gonna let it sit until tomorrow to let everything dry. If that doesn't work its time to investigate. Only good thing is i have a new fuel pump if that turns out to be the problem, which its probably not.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972

Me and my friend actually had to push my car home a mile in the rain. It wasn't fun.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96ssindeed
Yea i'm hoping so, like i said i'm gonna let it sit until tomorrow to let everything dry. If that doesn't work its time to investigate. Only good thing is i have a new fuel pump if that turns out to be the problem, which its probably not.
Start it up at night in the dark and mist some water on the wires. If you get a light show you know the cause.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Start it up at night in the dark and mist some water on the wires. If you get a light show you know the cause.
Thanks, i'm gonna have to try that when i start to diagnose it later
Old 09-25-2010, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Alright so far what i've figured out is that when you crank it and let it run, it acts just fine. After it idles for a minute or so is when it starts running rough. When it starts running rough you can go to the back and see its running rich and is choppy. Almost sounds like a small cam, just for reference.

Just a thought but could the o2 sensors have gotten messed up causing it to run like crap after a bit?

And still no cels

Last edited by 96ssindeed; 09-25-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Could possibly be the o2's. are you getting any codes?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrchyzy16
Could possibly be the o2's. are you getting any codes?
Actually we figured the fuel pump was giving out because it was reading weird pressures so i jsut went ahead and changed it. It ran fine but still had a slight hesitation. Well this morning i dropped my girl off and was about half way home when it started to hesitate worse and sputter some, but if i put it in 5th instead of 6st and ran it at 2000rpms it ran pretty clean. So i drove it like that and after about 4 miles the check engine light started flashing and it started to cut up and "buck" pretty good. The light would flash then stay on, if i gave it gas it would flash and then stay on.

I'm almost certain its the o2's, i was actually getting on here to get an opinion. A couple of my friends have scanners so i can hopefully get it scanned before hand, but i have a set of 02's i can swap in if thats the problem. I'm just lucky my buddy lives in the town i had to go through to get home so i just stopped there.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the O2's fail then the PCM reverts back to basic open loop (factory programmed) parameters and you should get a SES code. If these open loop parameters are factory original in the tune, it will not run the way you are describing. The only noticable negative impacts would be maybe more emmisions and a hit to the MPG's. IMO, this is not a O2 problem. Still sounds like ignition to me assuming your fuel pressures are in spec.

Did you mist the wires like Speed suggested above?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

I checked the codes and it was just random misfire detected. Cleared it and drove it around the block and it was cutting up real bad when just cruising but ran alright. So i'm pretty sure i fouled the o2's out. I'm going to try and change them later. Its running similar to what it did when i first got it and it was the o2's
Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Does it run OK when you first start the car, and get worse after it has warmed up?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BTC
Does it run OK when you first start the car, and get worse after it has warmed up?
yea, thats what it was doing the other day. its not doing it as bad but is still doing it
Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

So it was the o2's. They were blaaaaaaaaaack. lol anyway put some old ones i had in and it runs fine. its saying that one isn't giving a signal so i have to check that out tomorrow
Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 02's were shot too.........but it turned out to be because of a bad FPR. Swapped the plugs (only bled once!! first time doing plugs on an LT1) and both o2 sensors yesterday. Going to install the FPR tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car running weird, may have gotten the opti wet?