LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

driving with ceramic coated headers in rain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default driving with ceramic coated headers in rain?

Alright, I have pacesetter long tube ceramic coated headers on my 96 Firebird Formula, and was wondering how bad it would be to drive my car in the rain with ceramic coated headers? will it make them rust out fast?

also what about driving in the winter, but not during storms, only when the roads are mainly dry.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

There's no problem with driving in the rain, however, eventually like any coated header, it will start to peel. Avoid road salt at all cost. You expose the coating to it you will be able to see the coat come off before your eyes.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would it help if i also used header wrap on the headers? or would that be bad on ceramic coated headers?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fire-chickens
would it help if i also used header wrap on the headers? or would that be bad on ceramic coated headers?
Many people will argue that header wrap is fine for a drag-only garage-kept car, but for any vehicle that sees street time, header wrap is an absolute no-no (I think it's a waste in both cases though). The wrap is for heat - it can actually INCREASE corrosion by trapping moisture. Not to mention it can also be a fire hazard by soaking up any residual engine oil. Furthermore, it looks like ***.