LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got a crazy idea let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a crazy idea let me know what you think

Ok fairly new to the lt1 but for what i am going to do with this car i would love to have a carb on it. and i know all the goods and the bads. Here is what I am thinking I can pickup the efi connection kit for the lt1 to use all the stock ls1 crank position sensors and cam position sensors and also use the coil packs. If all that would work with a stock ls1 pcm shouldnt it work with a msd 6010 box? Then all i would have to do is get a intake to work on the lt1 and slap a carb on it? I know im making is sound easier than it really is but the 6010 has alot of great thing about it and i still would not have a dizzy to mess with. I know this seems like alot of work. But if you look at what it would cost to do it. It wouldnt really be any more than buying a msd dizzy and ignition box and all the other misc. items. Any ways that what i was thinking so let me know what you all think about it.

Jared
Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have trick flow heads and a 15year old camshaft. Why do you think you need to go to that extent?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 nothing a OEM opti, coil and a MSD 6AL box shouldn't be able to handle. And why do you want to do an EFI carb intake on a mild LT1?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

i just feel like it would be better suited for me as there is no one near me that will tune these cars with out driving 5+ hrs. and with a carb i could tune it my self. regard less of the age of the cam what does that have to do with any thing?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

He means its not some special cam that needs a special tuner, you could get away with a mailorder tune with your setup. And you must be confused because you cant mix EFI with carbueration. There is a carb style intake/tb for EFI cars, but those are for high rpm strokers. If you want to do the EFI connection conversion for tuning reasons I understand, but know other than that it is not necessary
Old 09-28-2010, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

no the base kit that efi connections sells is simply the timing chain cover with the crank sensor and the cam senor that it all that is needed to run the msd 6010 box. I understand that this is a mild combination that could be mail ordered tuned. but i am looking for me being able to do the tuning my self.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

yes it can be done but why. I actually run a 6010 box on my 8.1 but putting a carb on it is stupid. efi and carb can make the same top end power but efi is so much better anywhere in between. For the cost of the msd box you can buy the jet software and tune it yourself. if you understand fuel and timing then it shouldnt be a problem. **** i just read if yours is the early 95 car you can get tuners cats with cable for like 120 bucks. Then you dont have to swap intake front cover etc.

Its your money and your car but i wouldnt do it unless you didnt have all that stuff to begin with. Carb doesnt ft these cars anyhow most have to be hacked up to get an air cleaner etc to fit
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

this was more of a post of would it would work as to i am doing. i was just considering the options as to what direction i could go with the car. and i understand that every body is for the efi and i couldnt agree more that it works great. i was just looking at all the options out there. i just think it would be cool to have coil packs and no dizzy on a sbc with a carb and intake and watch people shake there head.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The paid software to be able to tune and datalog your stock pcm is under $200($90 each for Datamaster and Tunercat) and another $50 for a cable, and there is even some free/donation software(TunerPro) you could use instead. Sounds to me like you want to spend a lot to save a little.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

i can see the point about the money....but if was to do this swap it wouldnt be for the cost. it would be about flexibility with the combination. this swap would prob run me around 1200 for every thing. In my opinion thats really not alot in the big picture. there is two things i like to do when i work on vehicles 1. make them faster than what they already are 2. maybe do something that has not been done before. This post isnt mint to pit efi vs carb i just thought it would be cool to see if it had been done. Also if i wanted to save money i dang sure would not be trying to put together a car.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it. I'm sure you'll have a unique setup. Personally I'd just tune it. If I went through the trouble of putting a carb on it I'd just go with a distributor to, but that would be alot more common.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black05stxjt
there is two things i like to do when i work on vehicles 1. make them faster than what they already are 2. maybe do something that has not been done before.
um.

Your not going any faster with a carb vs a tuned '95 pcm. And your not doing anything different, carb'd LTx cars are all over. And in regards to your setup, you'd be spending $1200 for absolutley nothing.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:31 AM
TECH Veteran

why do you need to tune it yourself? you are running off the shelf heads with an off the shelf cam. as stated you can already tune it yourself and if you cant do that a mail order will be more than enough for you.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still amazed at the lengths people will go to avoid tuning an LT1...
Old 09-29-2010, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In other words he did not want to discuss anything or learn anything. He wanted to be blindly applauded for coming up with a $1200 solution to a $230 problem.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

First of all this was a simple idea i had never once did i say i was going to do this conversion. Now i never said that the efi system was bad just looking at other options. But i guess the easy thing to say around here is just get a mail order tune or your combination is just old blablabla. That's fine and all im sure you all have great combinations that run flawlessly. I guess my point is if it isn't about efi around here don't post it as y'all obviously think that is the only set up that works. So whatever ill.just keep my out dated combination and ideas about carb to my self until i realize that efi
is the only way to go lmao
Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

First of all this was a simple idea i had never once did i say i was going to do this conversion. Now i never said that the efi system was bad just looking at other options. But i guess the easy thing to say around here is just get a mail order tune or your combination is just old blablabla. That's fine and all im sure you all have great combinations that run flawlessly. I guess my point is if it isn't about efi around here don't post it as y'all obviously think that is the only set up that works. So whatever ill.just keep my out dated combination and ideas about carb to my self until i realize that efi
is the only way to go lmao
Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I for one was very curious to see if anyone knew whether you could run the lsx coils on a NON-LSx platform (be it GEN1/sbc, GEN2/LTx, or dare I say...BBC) using a mixture of the 24x parts and the MSD 6010.
I think it's a valid question, no matter whether you think it's a good idea or not. Seems like this could be a possible way to run a carb without hacking anything for distributor clearance, or fighting with getting to the distributor even if you've hacked for it. Plus it would be easily transferable from one platform to the other. Also, who is to say you couldn't still add a basic EFI system that only controlled the fuel side? Again, not saying that it is the best plan, but it is a question worth answering if anyone knows the answer.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Why is it that everyone on this site wants to tell people what to do? Instead of helping out, it's "do this." "You're stupid for wanting to do that." Not "yes, it can be done." "I applaud you for wanting to do something different."

Make your car JUST LIKE MINE! Don't be original! Don't do something you want to! Cause if you talk about it, LS1tech is gonna tell you that you are stupid and it's cheaper to be JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE.

Question:
"I want to tune a carb, can I do it this way?"

Answer:
"Don't do that, get a mail tune. You've already said you want to tune it yourself so get a mail tune."

Or:
"Tune with EFI instead. You clearly said you want to tune it carbed, but you are stupid. Do it with this software."

I gotta point out that ALL the really fast guys, aren't doing it like everybody else.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

here you go man, this might help in your quest.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...rb+distributor

Quick Reply: Got a crazy idea let me know what you think