LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Flowmaster SOTL 3" 40 series Cat-back, how does it flow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flowmaster SOTL 3" 40 series Cat-back, how does it flow?

I had the Flowmaster SOTL (single out the left) 3" cat-back with 40 series 2 chamber muffler when I bought the car, it sounded bad *** but I could not get over the single pipe in the back. Well I bought a Magnaflow cat-back because I liked the way the tailpies are BUT I dont like the tone compared to the Flowmaster. I have heard the SOTL Flowmaster flows pretty good, does it compare to the Magnaflow? if so I plan on installing the flowmaster muffler and fabbing up a dummy pipe on the passenger side using the magnaflow tailpipe so I can have the sound and look. Opinions please.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Flowmasters dont flow as well as many other aftermarket mufflers. If you want flows, run both pipes functional or use a 40 series/super 44 single I/O.. If you want a truly sick single exit exhaust, check out the mufflex (random technology might have one too). Now thats a sick sound!

The Flowmasters aren't gonna flow quite as well as Magna though.. If you want optimal flow, go with the Hooker Max Flo (not aerochamber). Supp to flow like a 2.5" strait pipe and act make more power.

Last edited by MavsFORMULA; 09-29-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MavsFORMULA
Flowmasters dont flow as well as many other aftermarket mufflers. If you want flows, run both pipes functional or use a 40 series/super 44 single I/O.. If you want a truly sick single exit exhaust, check out the mufflex (random technology might have one too). Now thats a sick sound!

The Flowmasters aren't gonna flow quite as well as Magna though.. If you want optimal flow, go with the Hooker Max Flo (not aerochamber). Supp to flow like a 2.5" strait pipe and act make more power.
The SOTL 40 series cat-back is single I/O 3" thats why I wonder if it flows as well as the magnaflow that is single in/dual out.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since getting my 97 SS I have went from the LoudMouth 1 that was on it (sounded good, but called every cop around) to the 3" single in/out Flowmaster you have (already had it laying around) and now to a 3" in/ dual 2.5" out Hooker AeroChamber.
I mostly swapped because, like you, the single tailpipe just refused to grow on me. LOL Secondly the Hooker has an awesome sound to it. It's not too loud just driving around or idling, but it really lets loose when you step on it. Almost has a Jekyll and Hyde personality. It has a great old school muscle car tone. I get complimented on it all the time.
I gave serious thought to keeping the Flowmaster and adding a dummy tailpipe like you are thinking, except I was planning to put a manual cutout in the bend just before the muffler and bolt the passenger's tailpipe to it......then cut out some sheet metal inserts with different sizes as well as a block off.....essentially having the same as the tuneable borla set-up, but on the cheap. I still have the Flowmaster, and am probably gonna try this on my 95 Z28 when I fix it. I'll probably just get the Hooker for it too.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster SOTL 3" 40 series Cat-back, how does it flow?