LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Borla Exhaust info...

Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Exhaust info...

alright guys when i bought my 93 Formula it had a Borla adjustable cat back exhaust on it. now looking at pictures of it and looking at in on the car it seems one side would be a straight pipe while the other is somewhat muffled? i mean how does this work being a y pipe rather then going into the muffler then out of the muffler on each side with the tips? can someone please explain it to me ? lol its this exhaust system
http://www.borla.com/products/produc...=14464&ref=cat
Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's just like it looks. One side is muffled and the other is controlled by which plate (what size hole) is in between the tip and the pipe that is after the rear end.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Borla is an "adjustable" catback. The passenger side tailpipe has 3 or 4 different plates you can put in it, anywhere from completely closed (all through the muffler) to wide open (straight pipe, basically). I have seen dyno comparisons and people gained nothing from switching between the plates, wide open or closed-so it's basically just for sound preference.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Borla is an "adjustable" catback. The passenger side tailpipe has 3 or 4 different plates you can put in it, anywhere from completely closed (all through the muffler) to wide open (straight pipe, basically). I have seen dyno comparisons and people gained nothing from switching between the plates, wide open or closed-so it's basically just for sound preference.
What? Gained nothing? I never dyno'd mine either but with the open plate it was basically an open exchaust just like a cut out which would show gains on the dyno complaired to the block off plate forcing it thru the muffler. It will make a difference it not just for sound trust me.

Lets see these dynos?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNIHcjKQPs
Old 10-03-2010, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

that vid is worthless without dyno graphs.....

i guess i should post up a vid of my car on the dyno and say it made 600hp but never show anyone dyno graphs.....
Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

That cat back is a huge waste of money! 1k for a muffler and some tail pipes is just insane. I'm happy with my Hooker catback for $350 and it probably outflows that Borla and has a nice quiet deep tone to it. The borla sounds like a dump truck to me
Old 10-03-2010, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Go On 3

i guess i should post up a vid of my car on the dyno and say it made 600hp but never show anyone dyno graphs.....
LOL hearing that gets so old man, countless times I've seen and heard that
Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

u keep hearing it cuz its the truth about comparing numbers.... completely agree that the borla is way over priced and can sound like crap
Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Really what are we comparing it to? I like my Borla over many different exhausts that I have heard.
It is quiet during low RPM's and sounds like a beast wide open. Plus you can change the tone even further with the plates. For my DD it is perfect.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got it on my procharged LT1. When I bought the car, it was still pretty much stock and had the exhaust on it already, with the wide open plate in it. It sounded great.
With the new setup, coupled with longtubes and ORY, it was obnoxious, especially around 2500 RPM. I messed with the other plates, and eventually settled with completely blocked off (all exhaust thru the muffler). Has a good tone when driving casually, and sounds great under WOT. I doubt I have any performance loss from the change. The Borla muffler is pretty much a straight-thru design, just with some noise cancellation.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Go On 3

Yes, thats not the only place I've seen and heard that, just the first video I found during this thread convo. I've seen the dyno graphs on similar comparisons before that show absolutle minimal gains or no gains at all.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Yes, thats not the only place I've seen and heard that, just the first video I found during this thread convo. I've seen the dyno graphs on similar comparisons before that show absolutle minimal gains or no gains at all.
not saying that i dont believe you the gains are going to be worthless but i just hate when graphs are not attached when comparing numbers, i have the borla on my car when i got it... it sounded like complete crap with out the plate in there but thats my opinion and to each his own

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust info...