LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with CHECK GAUGES light flickering and battery voltage? Flickering???

Old 10-02-2010, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with CHECK GAUGES light flickering and battery voltage? Flickering???

So, just recently I noticed that my CHECK GAUGES light flickers off and on at right about 1400-1500 rpms when I'm driving. At the same time I notice my battery voltage needle start to move towards the red, but not all the way, just acting like it wants to right when I hover around that certain rpm. I also notice it does it sometimes when I'm giving it a lot of gas only sometimes at certain rpms.

What the hell would cause this? It doesn't seems to run any different when it's happening, it's just weird. Could it be a loose ground or something and why would it only do it at 1400 rpms???? I'm totally lost on this one. Lol. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have your alternator tested.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Have your alternator tested.
Ok thanks. That's a good idea.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides having the alternator tested, check all of the connections to the battery and grounds.
What COULD be happening (although it's a stretch) is at ~1400 RPM your drivetrain is radiating a "resonant frequency". Every object vibrates at a certain resonant frequency. If something is loose, 1400 RPM is making it vibrate and cause an intermittent connection.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You can test it yourself w/out taking the alt. off. Take a volt meter to it. It should read a steady 14.5v. If it reads any lower then it's most likely bad. I've read where alt. testing at auto parts stores isn't always accurate. You also may have a slipping belt and/or worn out belt tensioner. Do you have an underdrive pulley?
Actually before doing any testing make sure the belt/belt tension is good.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I've never taken an alternator in to test, strictly for the reason SS RRR stated. Taking of the alt. just to get tested sucks. With a standard multimeter, read the voltage with the car running for at least 5-10 minutes, and have someone else in the car to do whatever you need to replicate the symptom. Alternator needs to read ~14.0 Volts or better, 14.5 seems a bit high.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with CHECK GAUGES light flickering and battery voltage? Flickering???