LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Iron head LT1 for my 91 Maro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iron head LT1 for my 91 Maro?

Found a LT1 for my 91 for 150 bucks. Its disassembled and missing the intake, crank and valve springs but otherwise the rest is all there. What do basic rebuild kits go for on the LT1s? Plan on reusing the stock pistons, rods, etc since the engine could get away with a light cleanup. What should I budget for a hone and the block checked over?

Im not too worried about power, just looking for a reliable, smooth running v8 I can swap the v6 out for and use as a daily driver. I figure since its missing the intake, I can buy the GMPP carbed intake and I have a spare Edelbrock 750 carb I can use. Going carbed should eliminate most of the engine swap headaches.

Also I have a set of shorty headers for a 4th gen. Would those work on a third gen or would I need special headers. Sorry for all the questions, just looking to figure out if its worth it to go this route or if I should just go with a traditional SBC.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the exahust ports on the heads don't match exactly with the headers when using SBC to LTx engines, might want to double check on that now that the engine is out of the car, since you are going carb might as well get rid of the optispark and use a conventional HEI or something like that, make **** easier
Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gorge
I'm pretty sure that the exahust ports on the heads don't match exactly with the headers when using SBC to LTx engines, might want to double check on that now that the engine is out of the car, since you are going carb might as well get rid of the optispark and use a conventional HEI or something like that, make **** easier
I was planning on running a HEI distributor also, which i need to go junkyard hunting for. The headers were on my LT1 in my 94 but took them off because I went to LTs.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

cool I was thinking they came off an SBC, if they are short I don't see why they wouldn't fit
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a complete harness and PCM if you still want to use the OPTI and keep it fuel injected.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hell I've got a full intake, harness and pcm from a 93 chillin in the garage. I'd go for a set of third gen shorties or LT's. they will physically bolt up, the only difference is the exh. port shape....LTx's have D-port exhaust. Use a normal SBC exhaust gasket and header/manifold and you're good. I'm sure you can get stock third gen manifolds dirt cheap over at Thirdgen.org.....just a thought to keep it cheap....btw you're trans probably won't last long....got a stock 4L60 sitting in the garage from the same car as the intake/harness...lol Should be a real easy swap....
Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a 95 LT1 corvette crank gathering dust, you going to go aftermarket on the crank?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Can't use the 4th gen headers they will hit the inner frame.
Get a set for a 3rd gen (1 5/8) or bigger will work. I would keep it EFI but thats me,there is only about 8 wires to hook up.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

x2 on the headers probably not fitting.....I know that 3rd gen shorties won't fit 4th gens so doubt it would work the other way around. They will bolt up to the heads fine, it's the chassis that will give problems. Port shape is different, but that wouldn't effect you really.

Best 3rd gen headers I've seen for the money and for clearance are the Heddman 1 5/8" shorties and Y pipe. Get them without AIR.

I like efi, but since you are starting with v6 and doing a swap, I'd go carb'd like you plan. Could always inject it later on.

Not sure why the comment about your trans was made. The v6 transmission won't bolt up to the v8. If you have a v8 transmission already then it should be fine behind the lt1.

Also...might wanna make sure it's an iron headed lt1 and not a 4.3L L99 "baby lt1".

I gotta check the same thing 'cause I found out the 95 Z28 I'd bought for a parts car and decided to fix has iron heads.

Quick Reply: Iron head LT1 for my 91 Maro?