LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quietening down my exhaust - suggestions?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quietening down my exhaust - suggestions?

My yearly inspection is due soon, and the traffic department are really strict with noise control here.

My engine runs a CC503, and my exhaust system consists of Pacesetter long tube headers, 3" y-pipe and 3" pipe all the way to the back into a Hooker Aerochamber and 2.5" outlet pipes for the tips.

I was thinking of a round muffler after the Y pipe near the drive shaft to quiet the exhaust down, and maybe a plate at the inlet of the muffler?

Your suggestions please?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lot of people put a resonator there. However the resonator may not tone it down as much as you like. A glass pack or "skinny" muffler may do a tad better. The one thing that will do the best job would be a catalytic converter. You can always make it so you can install then remove the cat with slip fits. Obviously room is tight there so larger better quieting mufflers will not fit.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

stock muffler
Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

I used a stock muffler before without a cat, and there was some rumble as I let off the throttle at a WOT. But with long tubes, a cam and 3" piping to the back? I think I will still have quite a problem on my hands.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

cats + long bullet muffler in I-pipe + stock muffler should do the trick. talk about being restrictive though.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know its alot of work but swap out the hooker to stock muffler for the inspection then just bolt the hooker back on, its timely but for making your car legal for another year, why not?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:21 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

The only problem we here is, every F-body has had its muffler swapped out for an aftermarket. The ones that still have them on are fully stock motors that are daily driven.

I have been trying to find one for over a year now and either no one has them, or those who do won't sell them to you. I wish I could find one and just weld a flange on it, will make my life so much easier having it sitting around for every years inspection.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if these work but you could stuff one in each tailpipe.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...ct_detail&p=18
Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Not sure if these work but you could stuff one in each tailpipe.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...ct_detail&p=18
That is the first thing I am trying. I am borrowing a similar insert that our fellow member monster81 had made for his car. Its a flanged 2" pipe with holes and dents, and will actually be like a reducer and restrictive at the same time, without having to cut open any pipes. Its also supposed to be quite long so it will go inside the muffler's inlet port.

I will be giving that a try first, and then try the stock muffler with this (if I can ever find one)
Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

I would put the stock muffler back on the car permanently, you really need some back pressure in the exhaust system to make maximum power.

Last edited by Wicked94Z; 10-14-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wicked94Z: I would put the stock muffler back on the car permanently, you really need some back pressure in the exhaust sytem to make maximum power.
^^You are so funny, I'll bet you are are great party guy. it cracks me up as much as Your Avatar does of Mr beans baby,

OP, Try adding a pair of 2 1/2" Moroso spiral flows, or try a single 3" one in the I pipe, it may take out some power, but gives a quick change option back to full power, but quiet during inspection.

Dub
Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Not to hijack but ive been wanting to quiet mine down also, i have shortys that go into a 3" lm1 no cats, I dont want to change out the catback cuz its a nice stainless piece, I was thinking of putting a chambered flowmaster in right where the hump in the floor is cuz thats the one place with enough room? any thoughts other then flowmasters dont flow awesome
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

regular flowmasters flow fine, its their 80 series crossblowmynuts replacement muffler that sucks.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

I had a y-pipe fabbed up with two, OBD1 single-style catalytic converters on it, one off each bank. Those two cats did better muffling than any muffler I ever bought. I also got it to pass the sniffer test running a CC306/LE2 setup.

Just throw something similar on every year.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's some food for thought...how do you know your exhaust is too loud? Before you change anything, I would find the db requirements for your particular inspection station, and get your hands on a db meter to see if you are within spec. Don't spend the money if you don't have to.

When I was cam-only I had the same exhaust setup as you (long tubes and Hooker), and it was quite quiet at idle and part-throttle.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Here's some food for thought...how do you know your exhaust is too loud? Before you change anything, I would find the db requirements for your particular inspection station, and get your hands on a db meter to see if you are within spec. Don't spend the money if you don't have to.

When I was cam-only I had the same exhaust setup as you (long tubes and Hooker), and it was quite quiet at idle and part-throttle.
They don't use decibel meters here. How loud your exhaust is depends on what the inspector considers upon his own opinion as loud. Yea, believe it! That is how it is around here.

We envy you guys having X-pipes all year around. The inspectors here are so illiterate, they actually asked me last year to remove the OEM fog lights, saying I installed them and they are an illegal modification.

The police here have less sense of humor than *****.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Have you considered a Borla? I have it with a DMH remote cutout where the blockoff plates go, you can go from full muffler to straight through in seconds. I run no cats and there is a BIG difference in sound from the open to closed position. Something to think about.

BTW, are you an American living in Bahrain? Are there really that many fbodies over there? That's pretty surprising, pretty cool eitherway.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:55 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GREGG 97Z
Have you considered a Borla? I have it with a DMH remote cutout where the blockoff plates go, you can go from full muffler to straight through in seconds. I run no cats and there is a BIG difference in sound from the open to closed position. Something to think about.

BTW, are you an American living in Bahrain? Are there really that many fbodies over there? That's pretty surprising, pretty cool eitherway.
I am a Bahraini, born and bred

The number of F-bodies over here is quite healthy, some making very respectable HP to the wheels while some others just go with headers and a catback. Unfortunately we only have a few good tuners and a handful of shops who actually do the work professionally.

The C6 Z06 is the rave here, a lot of them around. Some over 750whp.

The will ask you to rev the motor to hear the exhaust, and they expect it to sound quieter than a Prius on its electric motor.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Here is an idea. Go here: http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html and scroll down until it says CLASSIC CHAMBERED 12 INCH RESONATORS. Maybe you could put something like that in your I-pipe. Either that or get a used cat
Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

stock muffler with inserts at inlet and outlets,buy a new stock replacement you dont have to find a used one,set it up so that you have a flange at the inlet for easy swapping.Just make it a complete assy. with tailpipes and all,no fuss.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quietening down my exhaust - suggestions?