LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Carb and NORMAL distributor conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carb and NORMAL distributor conversion

Who all on here has successfully done this swap on here? I am strongly considering doing this to mine. I have been through opti hell ever since I have rebuilt my engine. I have had 2 unmentioned name opti's which ran fine but had the screws come out. So I bit the bullet and dropped the $400 on a new GM opti. The POS lasted a month and this is what it did.

Just put on my new MSD in hopes its construction would be better.

Drove it around the block and ran like a champ and then it started bucking and skipping at low rpms and running like ****.

-Checked cam dowel pin and it is in spec.

-Everything else is in good working order i.e. no leaks, new plugs and wires, everything mechanical is sound.

I can't even enjoy it cause of this Godforsaken shitty *** opti. Whatever crackhead designed that POS needs to be beaten to death.

So with that said, what do I need to keep the 4l60e with running a carb setup or is it possible? What am I looking at in cost? I already have 4-5k in the rebuild so LS1 swap and EFI connections LS1 pcm swap is out of the question.

Let me go ahead and put my flamesuit on for asking such a question of converting to a carb since that is not popular on this forum.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

You will get flamed more or less for having such terrible opti luck. I just cannot fathom how so many people have problems. NOTHING wrong with the opti design - it works great. Water pump being over it kind of sucks, but hey whatever. I have a shitty *** NAPA re-manufactured opti with an MSD cap and rotor on my camaro running 4+ years strong and the car has seen tons of abuse in that time. What gives?? I wish I could actually contribute to the thread and answer your questions Well, I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck man!!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

GM optis have at least a year warranty. Get it replaced.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't understand it. I don't half *** stuff on this car and take my time and this is what happens. I didn't even get in the throttle much when the gm opti was on there plus it never turned past the stock 5800rpm limit b/c I was waiting on the guy to tune it. Can't ever get the ****** running long enough to get it tuned.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Get a warranty replacement, red loc-tite the rotor screws and pop rivet the rotor. Have a look at part 1 of my opti mod in my sig, pp.1-5.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got done doing some testing to dismiss any other possible problems. It threw a code last night o2 bank 1 lean exhaust condition. So I checked for exhaust/intake leaks re-tightened band clamps around headers, checked header bolts, made sure o2's were tight, all vacuum hoses in tact. All checked out fine. Made sure no plug wires got caught in pulley when installing NEW MSD OPTI. I reset PCM and took another datalog. It did not throw the code again but still idled very rough in closed loop. So I turned o2's off in tunercat to eliminate if it was a bad o2. I also set back my stock VE tables and turned the MAF back on just to eliminate that being an issue. Loaded new tune and started car and it immediately threw a MALF 36: Faulty Hi-Res Signal

WTF gives?!?!?!?!?!?! Why is this car tearing through opti's?????????????????

Could the use of a standard SBC single row timing set cause this?
Could the use of ASP underdrive pulleys cause this?

I'm at my wits end at this point.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Are your vents hooked up properly? I had to hook mine up different because of the turbo. Just make sure the check valvle and orfice and in the right.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

The opti itself is a very good setup for timing, very good idea, just the nimrod engineer that thought it would be a good idea to put it behind the water pump is what makes the opti a bad idea IMO. I wish that we could move it to the back like the old 350's and keep the injection.

I say go for it, carbs can make just as much power as a properly tuned injection setup.
Just my .02
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The thing is what would cause this?? There is no reason it should keep destroying optis. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

The red loctite backed out on my car after a month. I followed the instructions never had any trouble before with loctite. Put some Green loctite on the rotor screws!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone actuall going to chime in on how to do the conversion? No offense but half a dozen posts about opti failures doesn't answer the OP's original question. I myself am curious about this conversion also.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueRamAir
Anyone actuall going to chime in on how to do the conversion? No offense but half a dozen posts about opti failures doesn't answer the OP's original question. I myself am curious about this conversion also.
Thank you!! I still want to know how.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...l#post13167404

I've read elsewhere you need to watch the CR as carb setups don't do as well as EFI at or above 11:1. Just what I've understood, correct ot not.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you sir!

Quick Reply: Carb and NORMAL distributor conversion