LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Exhaust Thoughts... Gimme Ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question New Exhaust Thoughts... Gimme Ideas!

Im wanting to run a true duel setup on my 94' Camaro. Im torn between 2.5" and 3" and whether or not to run cats. The car is pretty much a daily driver (minus snow). The car is lowered 1.2" on all 4's

My Questions:
-How much will duel 2.5" support vs 3"? (Id rather have more ground clearance, but i want room to grow aswell)
-How much HP with high flow cats restrict ?

I only want to run cats because there have been of EPC police around. With that and living in NYS, it makes me nervous.

I Just dont want to build a 2.5" exhaust setup and have it restrict to much HP. Yet i also dont want to run a 3" setup and have serious clearance issues.... and Yes, i searched... Just give me your input guys! Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

What headers? If your comming off stock manifolds whats the point but if you come off shorty, mid length, or long tubes it's different. I have no idea what kind of emissions crap you all have up there but here is my 2cents. Shorty or mid lengths 2.5 all the way or 2.5 back to the axle and then dump. Long tubes you can do different things like 3inch off the collector and into the cat and then step it down to 2.5 the rest of the way or due 2.5 all the way. or do 3 all the way and use a watts link to fit it over the axle on both sides. or dump at the axle and use cats. should sound good but it will be high still on the db meter.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Per David Vizard:
A 2.75” (stock) single system is good for a 310hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” Single system is good for a 370hp engine with zero loss…
A 3.5” Single system is good for a 503hp engine with zero loss…
A 4” Single system is good for a 657hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.25” dual system is good for a 457hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.5” dual system is good for a 513hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” dual system is good for a 812hp engine with zero loss…

I had high flow cats on my ORY way back. The shape of the torque curve took a hit and the power dropped around 10 points. They also tamed the exhaust tone a good bit. I designed my TD's to take the e-cutoff pipes off and switch to high flow cats should the need ever come. The need has never come.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm considering duals myself. I like how my pypes racepro sounds most of the time but it's raspy as hell above 3500 rpms. Thinking of 2.5 with an x pipe flowing into either madhammers or powersticks dumped.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the replies guys i should of stated what i have.
I have LT's with currently an ORY. I do not have a panhard bar relocator which is making me abit nervous with the 3" piping going over the axle.

I dont want to have something stupid loud as in dumped classic chambered before the axles. I am going to run it over the axle and out the back.

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I designed my TD's to take the e-cutoff pipes off and switch to high flow cats should the need ever come. The need has never come.
That wouldnt be a problem for me. The only thing is if i were to get pulled over by a DEP cop or something equivalent. I dont want to be caught with no cats... Ive heard stories around me that they even check the toxicity of your exhaust on the street :s

Id imagine that 2 high flight cats attached directly to the headers, wont restrict to much flow once hot.. i could be wrong tho
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a street car I would stick with a catback. True duals get old after awhile, not to mention they weight a ton. My old ones weighted 70 lbs when I ran them out the back.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
If it's a street car I would stick with a catback. True duals get old after awhile, not to mention they weight a ton. My old ones weighted 70 lbs when I ran them out the back.
I will never be tired of my TD's (in sig) on my street car. They dont have the ill sounds like rasp like my Borla catback Y had. Might weigh a little more and I dont care. Maybe your referrring to dumped before the axle.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will never be tired of my TD's (in sig) on my street car. They dont have the ill sounds like rasp like my Borla catback Y had. Might weigh a little more and I dont care. Maybe your referrring to dumped before the axle.
Mine were ran out the back. If it's a weekend car I would probably have kept the duals but my car is my DD. I noticed no performance loss going to the 2otl, if anything it actually feels faster. And I like the sound better than any true duals setup that I have heard.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

This is going to turn into a heated debate lol
I just want to get the most out of my setup as possible. I figured going true duels would give me that.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also curious about converting my EBAY LT's, ORY, catback to "quiet" true dual system and am anticipating to hear your results
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I would do TDs but im too broke to run them to the back and hook up to my CME
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

My TD's consist of 2 3" bullets and turn downs off each header. It's VERY LOUD and VERY AWESOME.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Catback with an electric cutout. Best of both worlds when you want it.

/thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uZxUmaXqHE

Last edited by RamAir95TA; 10-21-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

if i had to do it all again, and i will. i would run long tubes, either pacesetter or one of the good quality ebay headers at the time. that solves that part.

Y-pipe would be an offroad y pipe. and then i would run a magnaflow catback.

if no y pipe, i would still run magnaflows on 2.5" duals with an x pipe dumped befor the axle with the dumps at a 45* to the ground. Not sure which magnaflows i would run, but i have the magnapacks on this setup on my lincoln and i dont much like it for that car. might fit a fbody well though. if not magnaflows maybe a set of borla straight through mufflers.

another idea that works well is long tubes, offroad y pipe, slp loudmouth with a borla in place of the slp resonator. its pretty loud though. the reason i say magnaflow catback is because it should be relatively quiet and not draw enough attention that they would get out the mirrors and look under the car for cats.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Veteran

The only thing I will add to the discussion of loudness is my TD's are not really any louder than my closed Borla catback was. In fact I am convinced that my TD's at idle are a little more quiet because it does not produce that low frequency boom that I heard in the house with the Borla. WOT is about the same. Of course I am running a full size Magnaflow muffler so it should not be loud like what most people typically put on their TD's. The other HUGE difference with TD's is there is no rasp like what you get with LT's and a ORY pipe. My old setup had the machine gun like rasp at low load around 2K RPM. Sounded like ****. That was my primary reason for making the TD's. All rasp is 100% gone.

IMO the sound volume is just right and if I want Nascar loud I just crack the switch and the dual e-cutouts open up. My cutouts are in fact louder than dumped before the axle cause they are under your feet.

With regards to weight. I used stainless Magnaflow mandrel bent pipes which are thin wall thickness and not very heavy compared to other aluminized pipes I have seen. The only problem is welding them with stainless wire is very tricky as its easy to burn through.

FTR I am not convinced the TD's gave me any more power over the Borla catback. But the time, money and investment was worth it for the sound and fun in making them.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Catback with an electric cutout. Best of both worlds when you want it.

/thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uZxUmaXqHE
My thoughts exactly! I have a magnaflow catback with a 3inch electric dmh cutout. I LOVE it!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing I will add to the discussion of loudness is my TD's are not really any louder than my closed Borla catback was. In fact I am convinced that my TD's at idle are a little more quiet because it does not produce that low frequency boom that I heard in the house with the Borla. WOT is about the same. Of course I am running a full size Magnaflow muffler so it should not be loud like what most people typically put on their TD's. The other HUGE difference with TD's is there is no rasp like what you get with LT's and a ORY pipe. My old setup had the machine gun like rasp at low load around 2K RPM. Sounded like ****. That was my primary reason for making the TD's. All rasp is 100% gone.

IMO the sound volume is just right and if I want Nascar loud I just crack the switch and the dual e-cutouts open up. My cutouts are in fact louder than dumped before the axle cause they are under your feet.

With regards to weight. I used stainless Magnaflow mandrel bent pipes which are thin wall thickness and not very heavy compared to other aluminized pipes I have seen. The only problem is welding them with stainless wire is very tricky as its easy to burn through.

FTR I am not convinced the TD's gave me any more power over the Borla catback. But the time, money and investment was worth it for the sound and fun in making them.
Can you post some pics of your setup and a sound clip? I want to run full size mufflers but don't want my ground clearance to be horrible. Only reason I'm considering powersticks is because they're so small. I'd love to be able to get rid of my cherry bomb sounding rasp and get close to a "mustang" sound, without being too loud like most dual setups are.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I will never be tired of my TD's..
Agreed..teh sound quality pwns all.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Im glad to see both sides of the arguments on this topic...

My current setup isnt that loud. In fact its pretty docile.. Ebay Headers, ORY, classic chambered in my I pipe, and a hooker aerochamber in the back. Single in single out. While i do have a cutout, i keep having bad luck with them.. There electric motors keep falling off while im driving I Love the sound it makes, from idle to redline. But im wanting something alittle bit different.

Theirs something just so Badass, and intimidating about a nicely laid out true duel setup! My thoughts would be for 2 classic chambered mufflers where the I pipe would go. And then in the back either a magnaflow duel in, duel out muffler. Or, two vibrant ultra quiet resonators... There insanely good from what ive seen. My friend held one up to his mouth and screamed into it... all i can say is that it Works!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

I liked this guys idea, although I may go with the 16" powersticks and I want to run them all the way out the back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-video-3.html

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Thoughts... Gimme Ideas!