LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pacesetter Long Tube Install Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter Long Tube Install Help!!!

So I have my Pacesetter Headers all installed and nearly everything finished but my steering shaft won't go back on. It's hitting the #3 and possibly the #2 primaries on that side. I can remember reading somewhere where in some cases they may need to be dented to allow the steering shaft to rotate freely. Considering how much work it took to get the headers into place I really don't want to have to pull it back off to dent the primary, any ideas or am I stuck with removing it?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better off removing it...get it done right and not worry about it on the long run! im about to do headers also i dont want to have to do it twice! haha
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

i had the same problem and used a pry bar and a hammer to dent it around the shaft. it's still kinda closer than i'd like so the grinder comes out tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Your motor mounts might be shot if your having this problem but in some cases even with new ones you can run into this issue. Like said above using a pry bar and a hammer will work. Not really a big issue to pull the header out if its that tight that its hard to get it out then your easiest part would be jacking that side of the motor up or down whichever way you put them and they slide right into the place without scratch you engine bay and headers.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Motor mounts are brand new Energy Suspension poly inserts. For what it's worth the factory mounts had already dropped the motor close an inch and a half, and that's with only 90k miles!
I'm gonna try moving the shaft around a little more before I give up on it but thank you for the help.
Also on a related note I am using a 2.5" Summit Universal X-pipe kit, is it pretty much guarnateed that I am going to have to add an extra bit of pipe because the collectors are too far apart?