LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 surging at ilde????!?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 surging at ilde????!?!!!

I have a 96 z28 lt1 i just did plugs and wirs on it but i didnt change opti cap or bug. So its hard to crank every now and again in ther mornins dont doit all the time most of the time its starts fine. Ok heres my problem win u crank it let it warm up stick it in drive the rpm drop down between 500to 750 and then bout 5 seconds it jumps up to a thousand it doesnt do it all the time witch it seems kinda wearid but it is wat it is. The rpms drop so much sometimes the lites are goin dim. If anyone has ne suggestions it would be greatly appriciated
Old 10-22-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basics first. Check the charging system and battery.
Second how many miles? may need cap and rotor. or may need O2's replaced. may also need the MAF cleaned. Buy only MAF cleaner.
Check the tps. make sure it is within specs. Instructions are in the emissions section of Haynes or chiltons manuals.
Make sure your plugs are seated all the way. Stock heads have a fairley deap recess plug threads and sometimes when using a plug socket to install plugs the socket will bottom out before the plug is tight and make you think the plug is tight.
Check wires and make sure they are on the plug all the way and that they are not being burned by exhaust.
At night start it and make sure you dont have a spark plug with a broken insulator. You will see a small ark if it is broken by looking at them at night.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Ok i did wat u told me check the wires and plugs i put new wires on last week with them isulater boots i bc off the headers the plugs r all good checked them and the opti the guy before me said he put a new distributer in but u cant always beleive wat u here there is a 105000 miles on car. The maf how do u check the spects on that and on tps there a way to check that stuff and i took it out tonite for a little while now its missing goin down highway at 60 doin 1500/2000 rmps its missing between there
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ok i did wat u told me check spark plugs and wires i just put them on last week i put the wire isulaters on the boots bc of the header and the told me he put new distrbuter in biut u can always believe wat u here the car has 105000 on her and the maf is there a way to check the specs on it and the tps
Old 10-25-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get MAF cleaner and just clean the maf. To check the TPS this link applies to after market TB's but the specs are the same. http://golenengineservice.com/html/tps.html I doubt that is it if the thing is missing that bad. You may need to start looking at the Coil ICM and opti. check the opti plug as well
Old 10-25-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Mine did this and it ended up being my Idle Air Temp Sensor. Luckily i was at the tuners get the car tuned because they told me right off the bat what it was and we swapped it out right there and it stopped surging. Weird ****!

Quick Reply: Lt1 surging at ilde????!?!!!