LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti spark info

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti spark info

I'm looking for info on how to set-up, maintain, and troubleshoot the opti spark setup. Any tips? I'm looking at buying a '96 formula and the seller says the car has a hesitation every so often. After all the reading I have done, it seems opinions are split.

Has anyone ditched the opti-spark system in favor of a traditional cap and rotor?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't listen to ignorant people. The optispark is a tested a true distributor that works. The hesitation could be ANYTHING. Start with plugs/wires. Could be that the cap and rotor are pretty old and need to be replaced (same wear and tear parts as any other distributor).
Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

My car has been having a hesitation lately, and it even stalled on me yesterday, I have been parinoid with my opti going out, mainly because back in the end of july my heater hose sprung a pinhole leak and was pissin right on it. Well today I got a new charger for my laptop and pluged into it, I have tunercats and datamaster and it said knock sensor failure, but its intermittent, it doesn't do it all the time, so don't blame the opti without cause.

If it was me I would at least do a cap and rotor and a water pump, that's what I want to do on mine, but in about a week or so I'm not going to be driving it anymore until spring, so ill be doing it sometime between now and then, and I may do an opti, ill have to see what it looks like. I get it apart.
How are the chandler cap and rotors?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I just got a Chandlers opti in the mail yesterday. Looks like a stout piece. Can't say it looks much different than an accel, delco, etc..
Old 10-22-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Ok somewhere I thought I had read that it was basically the msd cap except not red and say msd on it. I have also read that their lower line is basically the accel opti and their higher line is the msd opti?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Pretty sure they offer just one "line" of opti's.. Their "top shelf" from my understanding just means it has a lifetime warranty, as opposed to just a one year. Someone correct me if I am wrong. The opti I got in that case would be the bottom shelf lol. Looks like a very nice piece though. Installing it on my formula next weekend.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Oh well I guess that's what I ment by the lines then, again read that somewhere.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by idformula
My car has been having a hesitation lately, and it even stalled on me yesterday, I have been parinoid with my opti going out, mainly because back in the end of july my heater hose sprung a pinhole leak and was pissin right on it. Well today I got a new charger for my laptop and pluged into it, I have tunercats and datamaster and it said knock sensor failure, but its intermittent, it doesn't do it all the time, so don't blame the opti without cause.

If it was me I would at least do a cap and rotor and a water pump, that's what I want to do on mine, but in about a week or so I'm not going to be driving it anymore until spring, so ill be doing it sometime between now and then, and I may do an opti, ill have to see what it looks like. I get it apart.
How are the chandler cap and rotors?
If you purchase our cap and rotor and are anything less than amazed by the quality send it back and I'll pay the shipping
Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Ok sounds good
Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
If you purchase our cap and rotor and are anything less than amazed by the quality send it back and I'll pay the shipping
how long will it take to ship one to 85730?

Quick Reply: Opti spark info