LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 swap

HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT I GOT MYSELF INTO AND NEED HELP I HAVE A 71 NOVA AND WOULD LIKE TO SWAP A LT1 MOTOR INTO HER. I HAVE A COMPLETE RUNNING 94 CAPRICE (POLICE PAKAGE) WITH A LT1 MOTOR HOW HARD IS THIS SWAP? IVE BEEN TOLD ITS NOT EASY AND THAT I WOULD NEED TO BUY HEADERS, HARNESS, NEW MOUNTS HAS ANYONE DONE THIS SWAP IN A NOVA? WHAT DO I NEED TO GET TO DO THIS SWAP CAN I USE THE STOCK HARENESS, DO I NEED TO DO ANY MODS TO IT PLZ ANY HELP WOULD B GREATLY APPRICIATED THX.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

STOP POSTING WITH CAPS LOCK ON AS IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SCREAMING!!!!!!

You'll need everything enigne/electrical-wise to do this. You'll also need the computer controlled 4L60E transmission from the Caprice. Small block headers and engine mounts should work.

You'll need to modify the fuel tank to a in-tank fuel pump like what's in the Caprice.

You'll need a converter box to make your cable driven speedometer work-the Caprice is electronic driven.

You'll need to do some research on this conversion, there's lots of stuff on the internet.

I suggest you have the motor gone through by a decent machine shop and find a pair of Camaro/Firebird/Corvette aluminum heads and a better camshaft.

This could be a nice ride if you see it through.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Its been done more than once, quite popular awhile back, the swap can be as easy or as hard as you want it. With the carb intake and opti block off/ normal rear mount distro, it is the same as most any other SBC except its reverse cooled and needs the special LTX water pump. " Use the Imp/Cap radiator/fans" The normal SBC headers/exhaust are used for a 71 Nova, so no issues there even when going EFI just need o2 bungs welded in on EFI setups. It just depends on what your plans are with it and how much you want to spend.
Also where are you located as there may be somebody local from here near you to help. Use the disk brake rear from the 94 Caprice and narrow it unless you already have something better. Also a 93 Formula/TA or Z28 Camaro (700r4/4l60) no E tranny would help in this swap, if you can find one cheap local, maybe grab those Z28 Formy Alloy heads too. Good Luck

Dub

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 10-30-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:55 PM

Thx a million for the info. Also i already have sb headers from a 327 that the nova came with would they fit on the lt1 motor? The donor car runs good only has 70k miles on it was also thinking bout swaping tranny wit it also would this b ok? Rear disk tip is great too thx!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, the 327 headers will fit, are you stuck on using an auto? The easiest would be to use a non electronically controlled transmission, or a manual.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 PM

@ Paul not yelling just excited lol. Thx for your info too, so your telling me same harness is ok to use im asking cause was told to buy a painless harness but that cost like $700 and im not going to spend that if i have a harness already that dont make sense to me i could use that for diff mod, and yes i was deff planing on taking the tranny out and swapping it to, and as far as the speedometer goes i was thinking just useing the whole caprice cluster its digital and looks nice. Thx alot gona talk with my friend thats gona do the swap for me see what he says i will deff keep ya posted and post pics thx any other info would b greatly appriciated!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:15 PM

Yeah, the 327 headers will fit, are you stuck on using an auto? The easiest would be to use a non electronically controlled transmission, or a manual.

Really doesnt matter just thought i'll use it since its there and its running good. I could just use the 350 tranny thats in the nova now it runns great.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:29 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, a Painles harness would be way easier. And, the Caprice harness has a lot of stuff on it you won't need like emissions stuffs. If you don't have the "correct" transmission on it, you'll throw codes.

1993 had the eaisest swap-get the GM intake manifold for the LT1 engine and use a carburator and old school HEI dist. You'll need the Opti block off plate. Downside? Losing the abilities of mordern PCM controlled fuel injection. Upside? Losing the optispark!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NA...2592/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NA...7600/?rtype=10
Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 AM

K thxs again will keep ya posted should be doing the swap very soon

Quick Reply: Lt1 swap