LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick question on Rear end gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick question on Rear end gears

Okay got the right part after 2 weeks of waiting i took the Rear end out to replace the 3.23s for 3.73s but on the stock gears there are notches on the other side of the ring gear what is that? they are not on my gears i got today in the mail it something to do with a traction control thing?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "notches" on the backside of the ring gear is actually a ring itself, welded or bolted to the ring gear (can't remember which). It is for 3 channel ABS (ABS without traction control). If you don't get the same ring on your new gears, your ABS will not function.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

awww shucks what would i do with out my ABS
seems like its time to get rid of it lol
Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll have an ABS light unless you pull the bulb or disable it.
Contact SJM Manufacturing for an ABS Delete kit. They'll also tell you how to disable the light instead of having to pull the dash.
Their ABS Delete also has a line lock option, it's a pretty nice kit.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Im not worried about a light if I know the reason its on and the car stops like it should but the line lock thing could be a plan for the future
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qc97z
The "notches" on the backside of the ring gear is actually a ring itself, welded or bolted to the ring gear (can't remember which). It is for 3 channel ABS (ABS without traction control). If you don't get the same ring on your new gears, your ABS will not function.
Last I checked the reluctor ring for the ABS was part of the carrier itself, not the ring gear.

To the OP, have you unbolted the old ring gear from the carrier? That ring with the notches in it shouldn't come off with the ring gear at all. Just unbolt the ring gear (left-handed threads) and bolt the new ring gear on with some thread-locker.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
Last I checked the reluctor ring for the ABS was part of the carrier itself, not the ring gear.

To the OP, have you unbolted the old ring gear from the carrier? That ring with the notches in it shouldn't come off with the ring gear at all. Just unbolt the ring gear (left-handed threads) and bolt the new ring gear on with some thread-locker.
The ring is pressed onto the outside of the flange of the carrier that the ring gears is bolted to.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

yeah looked at it today your right ive been looking at it from a distance and today got up and seen it will stay on there with the new gear
Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lawhead
yeah looked at it today your right ive been looking at it from a distance and today got up and seen it will stay on there with the new gear
The best way I have found to remove the ring gear without disturbing the ABS reluctor ring is to loosen the ring bolts then tap on them instead of the carrier to knock the ringgear loose.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol, My bad. I had a 4-channel rear in my car. Then I bought a 3 channel 12 bolt and converted it to a 3/4 channel...Maybe on my 12 bolt the reluctor for the 3 channel was attached to the ring gear.
Sorry...I figured the stock 3 channel was the same as my Moser. Silly me.