LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can an LT1 Flywheel be Cut too much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can an LT1 Flywheel be Cut too much?

So I've heard that the LT1 hydraulics make up the difference when a flywheel is cut/resurfaced making it impossible to cut it too much, but I've also heard that it is very possible to have it cut too much causing engagement/disengagement issues.

So, which is it?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought the LT1 flywheel was just another externally balanced sbc flywheel.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

a friend of mine cleaned up my flywheel on a lathe, we cut the flywheel surface and the mounting bosses the same amount, removed the alignment pins no problems what so ever
Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I always thought the LT1 flywheel was just another externally balanced sbc flywheel.
It has more to do with the hydraulics than the flywheel.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Counted Out
So I've heard that the LT1 hydraulics make up the difference when a flywheel is cut/resurfaced making it impossible to cut it too much, but I've also heard that it is very possible to have it cut too much causing engagement/disengagement issues.

So, which is it?
The only possible problems that would occur if an LT1 flywheel has been resurfaced too many times is heat build up and warping. If you keep taking away material from the flywheel, it will basically become more thin and 'flimsy' and will warp easier under enough heat. Not sure exactly what the limit is to how much material can be cut off but I can say I've had my flywheel resurfaced on a Blanchard Grinder 5 times and have had no problems.

As for an engagement/disengagement problem, this will never happen with a flywheel that's been resurfaced once, twice, or a dozen times. Each time a flywheel has been resurfaced, it gets a tiny bit thinner. On an LT1 setup, a thinner flywheel will actually position the 'cupped' end of the clutchfork even closer to the slave cylinder, making it even less likely to have engagement/disengagement problems.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
The only possible problems that would occur if an LT1 flywheel has been resurfaced too many times is heat build up and warping. If you keep taking away material from the flywheel, it will basically become more thin and 'flimsy' and will warp easier under enough heat. Not sure exactly what the limit is to how much material can be cut off but I can say I've had my flywheel resurfaced on a Blanchard Grinder 5 times and have had no problems.

As for an engagement/disengagement problem, this will never happen with a flywheel that's been resurfaced once, twice, or a dozen times. Each time a flywheel has been resurfaced, it gets a tiny bit thinner. On an LT1 setup, a thinner flywheel will actually position the 'cupped' end of the clutchfork even closer to the slave cylinder, making it even less likely to have engagement/disengagement problems.
That's exactly the information I was looking for, thank you.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Surfaced 4 times,never had a problem
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Counted Out
That's exactly the information I was looking for, thank you.
No problem at all sir. Once you tear into an LT1 clutch setup, you'll realize they're practically idiot-proof compared to LS1 setups.

Quick Reply: Can an LT1 Flywheel be Cut too much?