LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 starting problems

So I bought a wrecked 95 trans am that had set for about 2 years, the owner was a good friend of mine and he said the car still started up and you could drive it. Naturally after two years outta sight outta mind... I got it and put a new battery and starter in it turn the key and get nothing. All the lights come on but doesnt click or anything. I don't hear the fuel pump kicking on so I didn't know if it could be out or if it could have something to do with vats. You put power to the purple wire coming from the computer and the engine turns over. As far as the vats my security light doesn't come on or anything. I checked the theft deterrent module through the radio and its not activated. Im no mechanic by any means and I have taken to 2 different places and no one knows whats going on. I'd like to keep from having to take it to chevy so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tested the starter to make sure it works? if it does next i would check the ignition switch.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah when you put power to the purple starter wire the engine turns over but when you turn the key you get nothing. So I am guessing the starter is fine. Ignition switch real expensive to replace?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would read this before going to replace it. Might help you find the problem regarding ignition switch.

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html
Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah sounds right except for all my gauges work the whole cluster works. But I will definitely check into that. Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: lt1 starting problems