LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Guide me on full exhaust!

Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide me on full exhaust!

So im trying to plan out my course of action with my car. I would like to get the exhaust knocked out completely this winter. Right now im not really thrilled with any of what i have. My cat clogged up and i had to hollow it out. With the slp lm1 catback its needless to say that it was LOUD. lol. I ended up buying a magnaflow y pipe from c-list, then bought a magnaflow high flow cat online. It tamed it down some but overall im not thrilled about the dump truck sound in town.

I hear good things about the hooker aerochamber cat back. But i have heard about quality issues as far as leaks. But i would assume a good exhaust guy could get it sealed up fairly easy. Correct?

And for headers im not crazy about the idea of losing ground clearance as my car is already lowered. So i have been looking into mid tube headers. I know everyone is always pushing longtubes to get every last bit of power out of the car. But quite frankly i really dont give a **** what number the car puts down. It will be a couple years before i can build the motor and even then it will most likely be a mild head/cam car <400 whp, but I want a fun ride that i can take out on the weekends and cruise, without having to worry about speed bumps, or pot holes, etc.

I guess my real question is how much power can be made N/a before 1 5/8" mid tube headers (such as mac mids) become overly restrictive?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is invest in a Magnaflow cat back. Quality piece. I ran one on my Z28 and also one on my T/A. Not loud and sounds awesome once you open the car up.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
My vote is invest in a Magnaflow cat back. Quality piece. I ran one on my Z28 and also one on my T/A. Not loud and sounds awesome once you open the car up.
Thanks for the reply. Ive looked at a couple of magnaflow catbacks. There is one for about 350ish if i remember correctly and then one about 550. Whats the difference?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im with Todd on this one. Get the magnaflow, ps longtubes (im lowered and dont have any issues with ground clearance) and it will sound damn good! If it is to quite just have a e cutout welded up and you will be set!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

The one for 350 has the single 3.5 inch slash tips on each side and the other has the dual dual tips.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have some old pictures of my car with the 3.5 inch tips on each side in my garage on my profile. It will give you an idea of what it would look like. I now however have a set of corsa clone tips.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

I would need to see some links to tell the differences between the two set ups. Magnaflow has always been the way to go IMO. Some think it's too quiet, if that's the case throw on a electric cut out http://www.streetfire.net/video/adva...-cu_694817.htm

Bumps!! How ya doing bro?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ~BuMps AloT~
Im with Todd on this one. Get the magnaflow, ps longtubes (im lowered and dont have any issues with ground clearance) and it will sound damn good! If it is to quite just have a e cutout welded up and you will be set!!!!
Thanks for the info! what is your suspension set up? I wouldnt mind swapping out some of my stuff if it would reduce the risk of scraping. I just think its ghetto when i hear a car scrape the ground. If it was coming from my car i would be embarrassed. Haha. And yeah i think ill just keep my eyes open for a decent used magnaflow and find some corsa clones. Definitely my favorite tips!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I'm running the Corsa clones on the Bird. Got them from AfterThoughtsAuto.com for like $50-60...they are nice.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GMMG...nothing sounds better IMO
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm biased towards GMMG for a bolt on car, for a cammed or H/C car, you may not like it. Ive toned it down to my liking by adding a Flowmaster Merge to the y pipe and a magnaflow bullet in the i pipe
Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not put a different muffler in your LM1? A lot of guys run a borla muffler in place of the SLP resonator with good results. Would be cheaper than a whole catback too.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
Why not put a different muffler in your LM1? A lot of guys run a borla muffler in place of the SLP resonator with good results. Would be cheaper than a whole catback too.
I have thought about this option as well. My catback is kinda rusty. Would that create any issues trying to attach a different muffler?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by big_bird_93
Thanks for the info! what is your suspension set up? I wouldnt mind swapping out some of my stuff if it would reduce the risk of scraping. I just think its ghetto when i hear a car scrape the ground. If it was coming from my car i would be embarrassed. Haha. And yeah i think ill just keep my eyes open for a decent used magnaflow and find some corsa clones. Definitely my favorite tips!
As far as suspension goes I have lower control arms, relocation brackets, panhard rod, bmr lowering springs with KYB AGX shocks all the way around, tubular k member, subframe connectors, and a strut tower brace. Going to be buying a tunnel mounted torque arm here pretty quick.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have thought about this option as well. My catback is kinda rusty. Would that create any issues trying to attach a different muffler?
I dont think it should cause any issues, but it may be kinda hard to get it apart. Also if you ended up going with a magnaflow you wouldnt have to worry about an rusting issues as they are stainless steel
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ~BuMps AloT~
I dont think it should cause any issues, but it may be kinda hard to get it apart. Also if you ended up going with a magnaflow you wouldnt have to worry about an rusting issues as they are stainless steel
I dont think im gonna mess with the slp anymore. I dont want to have to mess with it again. Hopefully just once and done. It will be getting a different cat back. I like the idea of stainless. The car doesnt see much weather, but if it has to, i dont wanna have to worry.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my Hooker Aerochamber catback. I'm running Ceramic longtubes, offroad y pipe and that catback with no cats and no emissions and love it.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are two videos of my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMDxfl3Atks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys5eipcvCTY

Yes, I have since fixed the lower hanging tips on the car.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Teching In

I got my Magnaflow on Performance Peddler for under $300, very happy with it.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think im gonna mess with the slp anymore. I dont want to have to mess with it again. Hopefully just once and done. It will be getting a different cat back. I like the idea of stainless. The car doesnt see much weather, but if it has to, i dont wanna have to worry.
The stainless steel was the deciding factor for me (like as little maintenance as possible. And it sounds great to boot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guide me on full exhaust!