LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Changed clutch hydraulics, can't get into any gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed clutch hydraulics, can't get into any gear

After I did a clutch swap, I wasn't able to shift into reverse so I replaced my master and slave with a prebled GM unit. After the swap, I'm not able to get the car into any gear. The problem only occurs when the car is running.

What could have gone wrong?

P.S. - Some of you probably remember a thread from before where I was thinking it was a clutch problem. Well I replaced both the pressure plate and the disc with a Competition Clutch Kit and the problem is still occurring. Which leads me back to the hydraulics.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

How does the pedal feel? For the time it takes to bleed it I'd do it, just to make sure.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by airfix
How does the pedal feel? For the time it takes to bleed it I'd do it, just to make sure.
Pedal feels okay, but it seems like it could be stiffer. However, it's been awhile since I've driven it with a properly working clutch.

I did check for air bubbles in the system, I didn't see any. Slave rod was damn stiff too, so I don't think there was any air in there.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:07 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried to put it in 1st gear than step on the clutch and start it? What happens when you do that?

If it starts to move its not disengaging.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Did you inspect the clutch fork
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1
Have you tried to put it in 1st gear than step on the clutch and start it? What happens when you do that?

If it starts to move its not disengaging.
What could be causing it not to disengage? My guess is it's not completely disengaging, but Im not positive.

Originally Posted by BlackBird87
Did you inspect the clutch fork
I checked to make sure it was lined up with the slave rod. And one thing I've noticed is that the plastic retainer strap (that comes on a new slave) that is supposed to break after the first use, isn't breaking. The fork also seems to easily slide up on the TOB too.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Counted Out
What could be causing it not to disengage? My guess is it's not completely disengaging, but Im not positive.

I checked to make sure it was lined up with the slave rod. And one thing I've noticed is that the plastic retainer strap (that comes on a new slave) that is supposed to break after the first use, isn't breaking. The fork also seems to easily slide up on the TOB too.
New clutch disk and plate, new bearings, flywheels re-cut, new hydraulics-- there's nothing left in the damn system to replace. Only thing left I can think of is to check and make sure your floormat isn't preventing the clutch pedal from being pushed all the way to the floor.

If that's not the case, you could always buy an adjustable master cylinder from McLeod or make your own adjustable.

Not exactly the proper way to fix your problem but it would definitely work.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

try removing the spacer that goes on before the slave, and the rubber dust boot on the slave itself then bolt the slave back up. Now you can see what the slave is doing when the pedal is pushed in.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be a bent fork, or the fork T-stud could have worked itself loose. Unlikely, but possible.

Try cutting that strap on the slave, then bleed the hydraulics yourself just to be sure.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Spartan7
It could be a bent fork, or the fork T-stud could have worked itself loose. Unlikely, but possible.

Try cutting that strap on the slave, then bleed the hydraulics yourself just to be sure.
Good call on the T-stud. Forgot all about that little guy, if that comes loose I'm sure that could cause some screwy clutch behavior.

As for the fork, that thing is practically indestructible. If that fork gets stuck or becomes immobile for some reason, our little plastic slave cylinders would literally explode trying to push on it long before the fork would bend.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackBird87
try removing the spacer that goes on before the slave, and the rubber dust boot on the slave itself then bolt the slave back up. Now you can see what the slave is doing when the pedal is pushed in.
Tried that. The slave seems to get full movement. We even bolted it into place without the spacer, no change.

Originally Posted by Spartan7

I removed the strap and bled the system, no difference.

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
As for the fork, that thing is practically indestructible. If that fork gets stuck or becomes immobile for some reason, our little plastic slave cylinders would literally explode trying to push on it long before the fork would bend.
Fact. I've learned that one the hard way.

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
New clutch disk and plate, new bearings, flywheels re-cut, new hydraulics-- there's nothing left in the damn system to replace. Only thing left I can think of is to check and make sure your floormat isn't preventing the clutch pedal from being pushed all the way to the floor.

If that's not the case, you could always buy an adjustable master cylinder from McLeod or make your own adjustable.

Not exactly the proper way to fix your problem but it would definitely work.
It's going to a shop tomorrow. Hopefully they can get it worked out without raping my wallet. Because like you said, I've replaced everything TWICE and there's still problems.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Wow im really interested to see what it is. I dont think we've missed anything