LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust leak help!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust leak help!

Howdy,

Due to Magnaflow and their exhaust clamps that leak, a slightly tweaked exhaust, and me with future plans of headers, I'm looking to see if I can upgrade.

First off, I do not want to weld the entire system. Everyone I've spoken to has regretted it for when they have to remove a transmission or do some aspects of work.

Second off, no v-bands. I don't really want to spend the money on them. I'm sure others have solved this problem with regular clams/welding before.

With my headers I'll need 6 clamps or connections. 2 at the headers, 1 at the y-pipe/cat-back connection, 1 at where the muffler connects with the rest of the body and 2 where the tail pipes connect to the rest of the exhaust.

I was contiplating this:

Buying: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-692300/

To create: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/cf2f112b.jpg

These would go between my collectors to my y-pipe and also my y-pipe to the cat-back exhaust (i-pipe). That should great a good seal and something easy to remove.

I'd also like to do one more from the muffler to the rest of the exhaust system and then have Nagle weld my tips to the muffler. It would also fix how the tip was off. Also this should make most of the exhaust easy to remove if needed and allow me just to drop off the muffler/cat-back portion from the rest of the exhaust and not have to cut it like the factory exhaust.

Do you guys think this would get rid of the leaks for the most part? What would you recommend?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

i got the same kind of band clamps from car quest and it stopped the leaks.

also i did spot weld the tips onto the magnaflow and can swap mufflers in about 10 minutes. you have the right idea!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Teching In

I would get the Walker ones over the Summit ones since I got a mix of the two and the summit ones were flimsy and I broke one where the Walker ones were much better quality.

Search this Thread