Few last min questions before next weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Few last min questions before next weekend

Well next sunday the Local track opens back up.\

Did the LS1 Lid
and have a set of MT ET street radials sitting at the UPS since Thursday since they don't deliver on New years Eve or day

But with these two how do you think I should launch the car? bring the RPM's up until the tires break loose to load the suspension. Or should I stomp it from an Idle?? (flashing the itty bitty stock stall) And what PSI to run the Mickeys at to start?

Looking for that 12.99 pass have had the car go 106 in the quarter with the K&N with a ripped intake elbow and donkey dong with a 2.1 60.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first thing you're going to have to do is get over the fact that you may break your rear. In all likelihood you should be fine, but once those fears are realized and thrown out the window, bring the RPMs up to take the slack out of the driveline and then a bit more, then put your foot through the floor on the green (assuming you're on a stock converter). I had best luck leaving around 1300-1400 when I was running 1.6x 60's with the stock converter and DRs. Also, start the DRs around 20psi. If you spin, drop 1 pound out of each one until you hook.

But the first part is the most important...be confident and stomp the **** out of the pedal. No *****-footing around!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Haha oh trust me after all these street tire passes where I have to work with the pedal to get a decent 60 time I will be stomping that pedal through the floor board. Best I have got out of the Street tires is 1.985 and sick of 2.0-2.2 60 times lol so figure I can get this thing in the 12's before I find a good stall for it!!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

RamAir how much do you warm up the ET's?
you just play with how long you have to do it?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjgdU28z_HI

This was the first ever pass on those tires, so subsequent burnouts after that will be slightly shorter.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Alright think I got everything in mind for the weekend lol
Old 01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Alright think I got everything in mind for the weekend lol
I launch like 700 rpm, it works best for me. Try it both ways and see what works.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

yay!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

god i want those tires. Im so freaking sick of my nitto drag radials.

nitto says to mark the tire and the rim, do a run, check the marks, if you spun and the mark hasnt moved, drop air pressure, run again, check mark. The goal is to get the least amount of air pressure but not so the tire is slipping on the rim, and so your getting a good launch. Its a good theory, however nittos spin no matter what psi they are at.

I burn em till i see smoke, if they smoke soon, i still stay in it a second or 2. Ive only done 2 burnouts where the car has filled with smoke. The name of the game is consistancy. Point your mirror at your rear tire so you can see what they are doing. The hard part is figuring out what to change when/if you do spin. Air pressure, launch technique, etc...

I read about heat cycling the tires. Im not sure if MT does this befor they ship or not but basically one way is throw them on the car, go out for a drive, get a slick **** off em (it will feel like your on ice the first time you goose it). Get them up to temp, maybe do some rolling burnouts, nothing major. 1st gear punch from a roll. then put the car on jack stands/remove the tires and dont use them for 24-48hours.

The other method is to go do a run at the track, do a nice burnout like ramair95ta did, make your pass, then let the tires cool down befor your next run and start with a smaller burnout.

Everyone has their own method to the madness. You bought a good tire though, im jealous! I bought my first set of DR's last year, the 315nittos. I cant wait to get the et street radials.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah these things cost a pretty penny but wasn't going to get anything other when i heard what people deal with with the Nittos don't seem worth it to me they are a SUPPPPER soft tire and see why there thread life is so low now that I have them I might be doing the old change them at the track thing but not 100% yet. My pops keeps telling me that I won't have to warm them up and will only have to scuff them because thats the way he did with his 442 with slicks on 8 PSI. But going to let him run the car do no burn out and then hand over 20 bucks when he's wrong

Quick Reply: Few last min questions before next weekend