LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

dealership sells pos 94 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealership sells pos 94 Z28

I bought a 94 Z28 about a month ago from indy auto. I was told there was nothing mechanically wrong with it and had a friend come and inspect it with me. It ran amazing when I test drove it. So I bought it and only put around 20 miles on the car when it started to not run right. I had it towed back to the dealership and they told me it was the headgaskets and that it was my fault.
I don't and never will trust these people so I had it taken to another shop to see what was wrong with it. After the entire engine was pulled the tech informed me that the headgaskets were brand new but there was a crack in the #2 cylinder. So now I am stuck with a huge bill, and its not easy to pay almost 3000 when im in college. Was trying to figure out what I could do in a situation like this
Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

best thing would be get an attorney or something like that because the dealership sold you a lemon, also if you want to fix it go to the junk yard and get a used LT1 for cheap
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Yea I was thinkin about a used LT1 but I don't want to buy it and have even more problems with it. What sites can I buy a new LT1 for fairly cheap. I know its still gonna be pricey but everything helps
Old 01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anywhere you go you're going to get manhandled trying to buy a NEW or remanufactured motor.

And the "technician" who told you there's a crack in one of the cylinder walls is likely pulling that out of his ***. Have him show it to you.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your troubles but Pace Performance is a great place to buy a new motor. If you go that route you should get an LS2, it puts out 400hp at the crank.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Sorry about your troubles but Pace Performance is a great place to buy a new motor. If you go that route you should get an LS2, it puts out 400hp at the crank.
And a lot more to make it go into the LT1 body.
thats not a good idea for a college student who is trying to make it by.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
best thing would be get an attorney or something like that because the dealership sold you a lemon, also if you want to fix it go to the junk yard and get a used LT1 for cheap
+1 for the lemon and the idea for getting just a used motor. If you are decent with tools and can swap it yourself you would save a decent amount of money.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^The guys in college. Do you really think he can afford an LS swap ?

I'd also want to see the crack. I've ran an lt1 really really hot and filled it up with cold water. It warped the heads bad but tge block was still ok. By the way I was young and stupid, had to learn the hard way not to pour cold water into hot metal.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

idk about where your from but in RI, theres a lemon law where if anything major happens in the first 30 days from buying it from a used or new dealer they are supposed to be responsible for it; something major like the motor or transmission. check if there is a law like that in ohio
Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like the motor is already out of the car, so he's better off having the shop install a different motor. GM doesn't sell new LT1 motors any more, so an LS motor is the only option if he wants a new one.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Most lemon laws only cover new or close to new cars. But you can usually have legal recourse through implied warranty statutes. Look for lemon law lawyers and they should be familiar with what you can do. It would be worth at least talking to one.

Why do people always come in here telling every cash-strapped person with an engine problem to get an LS engine? It's not like decent used LT1s are some kind of priceless diamond in the rough. If someone it just trying to get their car running, STFU about LS1 vs LT1.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^LOL ,What a dick! YOU cant just slap em' in there..your talking wireing a whole car...and a **** ton of money and or experience ..

It sounds like the motor is already out of the car, so he's better off having the shop install a different motor. GM doesn't sell new LT1 motors any more, so an LS motor is the only option if he wants a new one.
You CAN get LT1 crate motors...and built ones for less than an LS2 swap!!

Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
Most lemon laws only cover new or close to new cars. But you can usually have legal recourse through implied warranty statutes. Look for lemon law lawyers and they should be familiar with what you can do. It would be worth at least talking to one.

^^ agreed

Why do people always come in here telling every cash-strapped person with an engine problem to get an LS engine? It's not like decent used LT1s are some kind of priceless diamond in the rough. If someone it just trying to get their car running, STFU about LS1 vs LT1.
X2!

Have them prove the cracked head...ask them to see the cracked head.and if they cant cause they didnt pull it tell them to **** off and keep the motor and buy one on CL for 300-500 cash and put it in ya damn self!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why stop at LS2?? Throw an LS7 in that bitch!! It just drops right in! Plus, since youre a cheap college student, you can probably afford it no problem!! LS is the way to go!!

Maybe your "mechanic" meant the head is cracked? You can get a set of heads for $100, gaskets for $40, and you're set. But I wouldnt trust their word
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You can easily find a cheap half decent mileage lt1 dropout for about $500-800 depending if its complete or not with wiring and pcm. Search the classifieds and your local MIfbody.com forum for other sources.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy said he would rather have a new motor that's why I suggested an LS2 asswipe.

Yea I was thinkin about a used LT1 but I don't want to buy it and have even more problems with it. What sites can I buy a new LT1 for fairly cheap. I know its still gonna be pricey but everything helps
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

This falls under the lemon law. Look at the 30-60 days warranty papers you got with the car. You signed them, you just prolly didnt go over them. There is a USED warranty law that goes with buying used cars from a dealer and it usually doesnt matter what year the car is. Like I said, its either a 30 day, 1500 mile warranty, or a 60 day, 3000 mile warranty. Call them up, let them know you have the papers and your car falls under the law and if they dont honor it, they will be hearing from the Police and your lawyer.

I had this same thing happen to my SS. I bought it, and apparently it had one dead cylinder. 59 days later, and 10 miles until my warranty void, I brought it to a GM dealer and had it looked at...cylinder 5 piston had a hole in it...The Dodge dealer I bought the car from, then received some nice phone calls and it took some work, but a month later of hassle with them, I received a brand new 04 LS1 long block from GM and didnt pay a damn dime.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy said he would rather have a new motor that's why I suggested an LS2 asswipe.
Take your G8 and stay out of the LT1/LT4 engine tech forum if you're going to recc people swap in LS2's. There is more to consider about this and you should have most definately taken into affect his broke status - AS HE STATED AT THE BEGINNING.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

**** the ls2 and ls7, put an ls9 in it, bolts right up, no moddifacation whatsoever needed. They practically give them away!

Hey redhot, do you have any idea of what is included in this swap? K-member, mounts, rack and pinion, exhaust transmission, wiring, and the know how, time and money to do it. It is the better option if your after max hp, but for many guys such as myself, the ltx platform is good enough/fast enough for us. Stop ****** ramming the whole lsx bandwagon down our ****** throats! This guy just got boned on his car and the last thing he needs is someone trying to convince him him the most expensive way to fix a problem.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never owned an LT1 or knew anyone that did, so I thought they had the same block as an LS motor. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

I'm telling you guys
The LS people have a secret love us thats why they are always in here they are trying to see what we are up too

But anyways yeah unless you want to spend about 4 times what the car is worth put an LT9 in it jk jk.........But I would deff look into the Law side of this If it were me id be ready to kill someone for telling me that in 20 miles i managed to blow a head gasket.

Quick Reply: dealership sells pos 94 Z28