LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 trans am fuel pump cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 trans am fuel pump cutting out

I have been having this problem for about 3 weeks now and I cant seem to figure it out. The car starts up when its cold and runs fine and then I drive it for a little while and it cuts out. Doesn't sputter or anything just dies. Sometimes it will start right back up sometimes it won't. I finally got it to do it to me at the house where I could do some tests and when it dies its losing the fuel pump. So I changed the fuel pump relay and did the same thing so I checked the wiring diagram and when the car wont start its not getting power to the fuel pump signal wire{grn wire}. It has power when the key first turns on and the fuel pump pressurizes to 45 PSI then the grn wire goes to ground like its supposed to but when I crank no power to the grn wire. Is there anything that would cause this besides the computer being bad?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds more like a wiring issue like an open circuit.

Have you done any wiring or other major mods lately?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 93 had the same issue as what you are describing and it ended up being the fuel pump relay wiring. Mine was losing the ground as well as the 5v signal(pink i believe) GM wanted like 600 for a retro fit wiring harness to use the 5 prong relay versus the 4 prong like ours has. Not sure on the year they changed to this. It took forever to find a relay to work. I cross referenced the factory part number many of times and every place i went to brought me the 5 prong. I finally found one on ebay somewhere since the wiring issue had burned my relay up.

Hope you get yours figured out, mine still has issues where it will just stop, i tap the relay and it runs fine again.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

I haven't done anything to the car other than install a stereo head unit. I was thinking at first it had something to do with the opti because it started to rain when I started having most of my problems but then I remembered it did it for the first time to me the day before the rain. I had the auto parts store cross the relay number and they did give me a 5 prong relay but it plugged in and worked the same as the previous one. However when I checked for power I was checking from the back of the plug side so even if the relay was bad or the wrong one that grn wire should have power when I crank right? I tried giving the grey wire power constant power and the fuel pump came on but no luck. If the computer doesn't send fuel pump signal I'm assuming the injectors aren't gonna work but I tried anyway.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you put power to the grey wire at the pump, it should get fuel pressure if the pump is good. Check this first to see if the pump is OK.

If not I can set you up with a good replacement pump.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Tried that the pump turns on and has pressure but no signal so the injectors wont work.

Quick Reply: 93 trans am fuel pump cutting out