LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High idle and rough startup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High idle and rough startup.

Sup guys ive been having issues with my LT1 TA lately. Heres the story, last week i started it in the morning (8* out) and it turned over and wanted to catch but it didnt, then it started, ran fine. Yesterday i took it to the carwash because i was it once a week (evil roadsalt) and i washed it, didnt touch the engine bay, however i did shoot water up into the wheel wells to get the junk out of there. After i was done i started it up, and it missed a little bit, until i warmed it up and it ran fine. This morning, I started it, ran fine to work. Then just now i walked out, started it, and it had a really rough idle around 1000k rpm. Warmed up, and now is surging from 1200-1500rpm. I didnt get a chance to see if theres a leak somewhere or not. Im just wondering if i didnt soak something in the ignition yesterday. New parts are opti, ICM, fuel pump, FPR, new plugs, and new TPS. And my mods are in the sig. And there is no check engine light. Any opinions on this?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have any opinions?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

There are alot of things that could be wrong. Water and hard starts/rough idle usually means bad opti, burnt wires, bad icm or coil. check the physical layer first. vacuum hoses, wires. get a multi meter and check your coil off of shbox's website. theirs also a way to check your opti there aswell.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
There are alot of things that could be wrong. Water and hard starts/rough idle usually means bad opti, burnt wires, bad icm or coil. check the physical layer first. vacuum hoses, wires. get a multi meter and check your coil off of shbox's website. theirs also a way to check your opti there aswell.
Im leaning towards burnt wires/bad coil, im taking a look at it tommorow. Those two things are the only things that arent replaced
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just drove it around for an hour. When i first started it, it ran fine, then i took it home and sprayed some carb and choke around the intake and it didnt bog down or anything. The whole time i was driving it didnt miss/bog etc. However i did notice the coolant was a little low, which i know sometimes can cause a car not to run right. But i wouldnt think it would in this situation. The coolant level was at the "Cold" line when it was warmed up

Quick Reply: High idle and rough startup.