LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starter cracked?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter cracked?!

Simple question. I just recently finished installing a new torque converter in my 93 lt1. The flexplate teeth were good. Put in a brand new oem spec starter. Drove it for a few thousand miles and yesterday it just started grindig instead of turnig over so I take a look at the starter and the housing is cracked.

Now I've read about shimming and what not on starters that grind bu could a cracked starter housing cause it to grind? FYI it won't even turn over just grind grind grind like it's almost but won't make contact.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

take it back for a free new one. depends where u got it i guess
Old 01-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Oh I will definatly be exchanging my starter for a new one. It's only been 3 weeks since I got the dang thing. But I'm just trying to make sure there isn't any other under lying issue, that the cracked housing is the problem.

But I will def be getting a free new one =P
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 AM
12 Second Club

The cracked housing is most definately why it's grinding, now. What made it crack? When I worked for advance auto parts back in the day, they were REAL shitty Boit not warranting the replacement on starters that had cracked in any way, because they said this could be a result of the starting "kicking back" due too excess timing.

Take that with a grain of salt. I just pulled a starter off a friends car that was REALLY noisy when cranking, and the starter body had cracked In between the mounting bolt holes and was allowing the bendix to deflect away from the flywheel while cranking. He's been running my 103k mile gm starter for 8months now with no further issues.

Quick Reply: Starter cracked?!