LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Disappointed With Car's Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disappointed With Car's Performance

I've always expected more from my car, even though it's a daily driver, I've never been able to shake this feeling of disappointment. It just needs a little more, but it seems I am capped off by smog. I barely pass. What can I do? Is it possible to get a better performing cam that also performs better at the sniffer? Like a custom grind cam or something? Of course this is mostly going by the smog guy saying he thinks my cam is making the numbers elevated.

Here is my current cam

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CR...4&autoview=sku

Not much bigger than stock at all. Later on as I learned more (when I had the motor built I knew very little), I wished I had gone bigger until the smog test came and I failed and then barely passed the 2nd time.

What I am mostly looking for is the low end SOTP feel. I don't race, I just want it to feel quick. When I had some things done to my car I drove my dad's Chevy Avalanche 1500 for about a week. It's heavier, has the same hp/tq rating as a stock lt1, yet at some points it felt better than my camaro, this can't be. I have 3.23 gears, the truck has 3.73 gears, so I'm thinking hopefully that gears might hopefully be the missing piece to complete my car, what do you think?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Gears would help who ported your heads ?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a custom emissions cam ground. LE does reasonably priced custom grinds.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the replies. JBA racing, the shop that built my motor ported the heads. I'd prefer either cam only or gears as taking the heads off gets pricey as you know, and I don't know if I want to do the work again myself. I just dropped 1k in the car is misc repiars (fuel leak, trans leak, etc).

Quick Reply: Disappointed With Car's Performance