LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finding a Y pipe to go with my headers and catback

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding a Y pipe to go with my headers and catback

Alright so it looks like I might be using my Borla catback afterall, now I've got to piece the rest together.

It's a 93 z28 with Dynatech LT headers. What should I do as far as finding a proper Y pipe that will easily fit the headers and work with the rest of the catback? I know I'm going to have to do SOME cutting/welding here and there, but I want it to be something I can do myself and not have to have piping bent at a shop.

Should I get a generic LT1 3" off road y pipe, or should I just buy like a "merge" y pipe and have piping bent? Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

get either the magnaflow or flowmaster merge. You wouldnt believe the sound difference between them and say the pacesetter in my case. Less rasp and better flow.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Hmm so you think I should get a Magnaflow merge and just have the rest of the piping made to go into it? Is it really worth it for the extra money it will cost?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what i did. Build your own with a magnaflow merge. the link is HERE
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

^^that link and the one below will be good help in building a new ypipe
https://ls1tech.com/forums/7248595-post9.html
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

i just put a set of longtube pacesetters with there y pipe from summit last weekend and i have a borla cat back, i have no cats on the car and im extremely happy with the way the car sounds, not sure if thats any help but i would suggest that setup to anyone
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my 97 SS I have tpis lt's & 3" oryp into a hooker catback.....I bought the same headers and a hooker catback for my gf's 95 Z28 (from ddr698 on here...Thanks Doug!!) but don't have a y-pipe for it. So....I'm gonna "give" her my 3" mandrel bent y pipe (that has the same old junction as every other 3" y pipe I've seen) and I am going to build one for mine using one of the merge collectors mentioned above. She will think I'm being sweet, but I'm after a few more HP.

For the Y pipe, I am thinking about 3" off the collectors merging into a 3" x 3.5" Y collector....then into a 3.5" bullet muffler.....then having a 3.5" three bolt ring welded onto the end of the muffler....from there a bolt on 3.5" to 3" header reducer welded to my I-pipe.....then it would just be the 3" Hooker catback. I'm hoping the custom Y and bullet muffler with flange and reducer will cost less than $150 to build.

This way, I would have more ground clearance than duals dumped, but should still make plenty of power, especially with the catback removed past the flange in the I-pipe. I could have a 3.5" bolt on turn down on it then. It wouldn't be the easiest thing to swap on/off. I'd only use it that way a couple times a year though. Alot of people would claim that it makes no sense to do 3.5" up front if I'm gonna go back to 3" in the rear, but I know from experience that pipe size is less critical the farther from the engine you get. Things cool and slow down.

Not trying to thread hijack.....Just hoping it may give you some ideas along with those 2 great reads mentioned above.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

I have a feeling even if I buy the complete ORY, I'm still going to need to do some cutting/welding to get it to match up to the catback. Either way I think it will be about the same price if I do the merge or buy the complete Y.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Pacesetters ORY pipe Im selling if you search my posts.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to just buy a new one man.

So it's either between a generic stainless 3" Y (ebay) that actually looks really nice for around 60$, or buy a Magnaflow merge ($40) and have the in/out piping made (50-100$?).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... I can't see the HP gain from the Magnaflow merge being worth it, if there is any difference at all.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

none of the Hooker or Pacesetter type Y-s are going to fit your dynatechs. No one makes a bolt on Y for those headers, at least not the last time I searched around. The Dynatechs lay out a lot different than any of the other header designs. You're looking at something custom anyway, might as well get a nice merge while you're at it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by iWon
Thanks for the offer but I'm going to just buy a new one man.

So it's either between a generic stainless 3" Y (ebay) that actually looks really nice for around 60$, or buy a Magnaflow merge ($40) and have the in/out piping made (50-100$?).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... I can't see the HP gain from the Magnaflow merge being worth it, if there is any difference at all.
Oh, you are doubting the need for a high scavaging merge? I spent the extra money because i knew itd be worth it. When it was all said and done. i couldnt of been Happier with my decision. the car felt so much peppier and smoother. To each there own tho
Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

Alright I'll take your guys advice and get a nice Magnaflow merge and have the rest of the piping made. Might as well not cheap out now lol.

So I should get a dual 3" in, 3" out Y merge right?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

get whatever size the headers are, be it 3in-2.5in for in-let and out-let 3in

Quick Reply: Finding a Y pipe to go with my headers and catback