LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removing heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing heads

I am removing my heads to ship them to lloyd for a le1 port job. I am sure I can do the job easily I am just wondering it there are any tricks to make the go go smoother. I also would like to know what needs to be done with the AC, PS pump and the accessory brackets. The car is a 1997 TA.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

9/16" offset box end wrench will get one of the bolts fastened from the acc. bracket to the pass. head with ease. There are two that bolt into the pass. head. One is in the deep crevice behind the steering pump. After that, nothing else needs to be done with the acc. bracket itself other than removing the steering pump from it. Not sure what size the steering pump bolts are, but use a six point socket. They can be torqued on pretty tight and make sure to use the correct size.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure u have something to give u leverage on the head bolts.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

heres plenty of how to, tho I dont think he has a head removal write up but he can get you down to the heads for sure, and pick up a haynes if you dont have one already.
sont cut corners like not chasing the threads and dont re-use the stock head studs since there TTY. and im sure LE already suggested you step up to at least and imp headgasket
Old 01-29-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
heres plenty of how to, tho I dont think he has a head removal write up but he can get you down to the heads for sure, and pick up a haynes if you dont have one already.
sont cut corners like not chasing the threads and dont re-use the stock head studs since there TTY. and im sure LE already suggested you step up to at least and imp headgasket
I just asked LE about the head gaskets, I am waiting on his response. I pulled the heads off to day; it was not too bad, I am happy I did not have to remove my A/C hoses. I think the rings are a little worn so I am going to put some new wrings and rod bearings while I am waiting on the heads.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant just throw new rings and bearings on like that man. your gonna do more harm then good.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You think so. I am thinking that if I use a cylinder hone with 40wt oil I can clean the cylinders up then throw new rings and bearings into it. I have 80psi idle oil pressure on first start up and 55psi when hot ; the oil pressure will peg if I give it a lot of gas though. I am sure the bearings are in good shape.

Quick Reply: Removing heads