LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help me build my shortblock!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me build my shortblock!

Hello all, so I recently found that I had 4 damaged/galled lifters and my cam is trashed.

I want to build a forged shortblock and get my car back on the road.

The plan is to get all of the parts together and pull my motor and re-build it. The other option is to purchase a built shortblock and have it shipped.

Because of the complexity of my situation, I will not be able to re-tune the car so the set-up cannot change much, if at all. I have a DFI system and live in Hawaii, which means I won't be letting one of the 2 shops here that have a dyno mess with my tune.

This means that the compression, cam, degree of the cam, and further will have to be the same, if not EXTREMELY close.

The last time I dynoed the car, it put down 388rwhp/381 rwtq. at about 5800 rpm (with worn out springs).

The A/F ratio was pretty rich at around 11.6 or so if I remember correctly. When we first installed the new injectors the car was down in the 9's when it came to a/f ratio, and the mid - high 11's was as good as it would get.

I will be using the exact same heads, and the same COMP CC306 cam (not the same, but a new one). I know it's not the best option these days, but the car runs strong enough for me with that cam, and I know that if I run another cam, the tune is worthless.

So being that the A/F ration was a tad rich, would running a 383 stroker be a wise move?

Otherwise I was just going to go .030 over and call it a day.

This is kind of on a budget so:

Which parts - Crank, pistons, rods, bearings, etc should I go with?

Thanks guys, Matt
Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put it all back to bone stock if you cant tune it. That is beyond absolutely rediculous.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

There are mail order tuners for people in your situation...
Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
There are mail order tuners for people in your situation...
There are mail order tunes for accell DFI systems?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gregrob
Put it all back to bone stock if you cant tune it. That is beyond absolutely rediculous.
Why on earth would I do that?

Then it would run like ***. If I put it back to stock it would still have the tune for the current set-up in it.

What is beyond absolutely rediculous is that the one thing i tell everyone I will not change is all you guys want to talk about. I am happy with the way the car ran before the damage. I just want it back to that, but forged so I can run some spray.

All I am asking is which forged parts I should run and where to get them.

If you only are going to tell me that I need to be able to tune it, then don't respond.

This thread is about building a forged shortblock, thats it.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Teching In

One of the global setup perameters is engine size. When you change that in the setup to 383 the computer is going to modify the calculations for fueling and your going to be back to where you were before. You can email the data logs from your DFI to a good tuner in the states and Should be able to get it straightened out pretty quickly. With that being said..... Build it the way you want it.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayton Racing
One of the global setup perameters is engine size. When you change that in the setup to 383 the computer is going to modify the calculations for fueling and your going to be back to where you were before. You can email the data logs from your DFI to a good tuner in the states and Should be able to get it straightened out pretty quickly. With that being said..... Build it the way you want it.
^ what he said....
Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Ok Guys,

so which parts should I get for the rotating assy?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Teching In

We use The Callies Dragonslayer crank and Compstar H beam rods, or the Scat Forged Crank and H beam rods. For pistons I personally think the CP Bullet can't be beat, but I also like the Mahle pistons too. You can't go wrong with any of those parts.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Clayton Racing
We use The Callies Dragonslayer crank and Compstar H beam rods, or the Scat Forged Crank and H beam rods. For pistons I personally think the CP Bullet can't be beat, but I also like the Mahle pistons too. You can't go wrong with any of those parts.
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Your Welcome
Old 02-23-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You can't build a shortblock for yourself with parts sourced from the internet, and machining done locally, cheaper than Clayton Racing can build for you. Their prices are excellent. Not sure how much shipping a 300lb shortblock to Hawaii would be though, lol.

Here is there ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/claytonracingengines

Here is one of their 383's with forged everything:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SBC-383-LT1-Forg...item3a56f5e366
Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joelster
You can't build a shortblock for yourself with parts sourced from the internet, and machining done locally, cheaper than Clayton Racing can build for you. Their prices are excellent. Not sure how much shipping a 300lb shortblock to Hawaii would be though, lol.

Here is there ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/claytonracingengines

Here is one of their 383's with forged everything:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SBC-383-LT1-Forg...item3a56f5e366
Shipping would be about $200-250.

I'm thinking of going with the kit from Advanced Induction and re-use my stock crank.

That will keep everything down under 3 grand.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 AM
TECH Veteran

+1 on the mailing it to a competent tuner. My tuner here in so cal offers that
Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 AM
11 Second Club

Keeping it under 3k is going to be a challenge, mainly if you're sourcing parts and not doing your own labor. If you cam is ruined I'd have my valves and springs checked also just to be safe. I'm not sure if you can get around a tune unless you put it back the way it was, and why not? you did say you were happy with the way it preformed. Cc306 may be out dated but it's far from obsolete.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lncboytre_d
Keeping it under 3k is going to be a challenge, mainly if you're sourcing parts and not doing your own labor. If you cam is ruined I'd have my valves and springs checked also just to be safe. I'm not sure if you can get around a tune unless you put it back the way it was, and why not? you did say you were happy with the way it preformed. Cc306 may be out dated but it's far from obsolete.
My Engine Builder can do ALL of the work for about a grand. The AI kit less the crank is $1200. So I'm leaving $800 for gaskets, cam, and extras.

The Springs are brand new, Patriot Gold Extremes. And I will have the valve checked before I re-install the heads too.

And yeah, I'm planning on just building the same shortblock but forged so I can run my current tune. I don't see the need to go changing the cam to pick up another 10-15rwhp, which isn't even worth the trouble of the re-tune and all that.

Quick Reply: Help me build my shortblock!