LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

hooker long tube super comp install... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy hooker long tube super comp install... HELP!

so I bought some used hooker super comps. They're pretty nice but the slip fit L-1 tube is already welded in place. I thought this would be a pretty reasonable project but I guess I was wrong. When I first started I realized that the 2 bolts used for the stock manifold had blown out on the driver side as well as the bolt in the third to last bolt hole all flush with the head. I've tried everything but taking the head off and re-threading it. I decided I'd rather just use 5 bolts and see if they leak and pull the head if they leak terribly. Then I broke my ECT and oil pressure sensor (had to get the 93) trying to get that side in but with no luck. I figured it would be easy if I pulled the oil filter but I was wrong and spent 3 hours trying to pull the damn thing off (had to use tho old screw driver stab trick) for basically no reason.

Is there any way to install it from the top without cutting it up and welding it in the car? should I just take the head off and slip it in with the head off since I should probably re-thread the head anyway? should I try jacking the motor up on that side?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Take the bolt out of the motor mount and jack up the engine a few inches and it'll fall right in. Using 5 bolts it will leak and may even warp the flange. You'll have to do it for both sides. The heater box can be a bitch and can easily crack or break since the plastic is now old and brittle.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

as far as the leak goes, I've heard some people say they've had no problems with a good gasket and flat flange so I will try my luck and if worse comes to worse I'll take the head off. Even if it leaks a little it will be a huge improvement from what it was. For jacking up the motor, should I do it one side at a time or should I unhook both motor mounts? It's just the one 3/4" bolt right? to jack the motor up can I just use a floor jack with a 2X4 across the oil pan or should i do it from the bell housing?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

It's just the one bolt, yes for each motor mount. Do one side at a time. Either via oil pan or bellhousing will be fine.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

How the hell do you get the long motor mount bolt out? One of the bolt that holds the motor to the mount is in the way of the big bold which has a lip. I can't get that bolt out because the through bolt is in the way of it. kind of a catch 22. which bolt comes out first?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

am I the only person who has ever had this problem? I can't find anything on it. I hope my mounts aren't shot.

Quick Reply: hooker long tube super comp install... HELP!