TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhh... very nice indeed.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fazz73jr
Very nice!!! Specs??
~260 duration on both sides with over .7" at the valve, on a 109LSA(narrowest they can make this core). The @.050 numbers are not to interesting, it is the very aggressive .020 numbers that make the cam special.

Not anything I would recommend most people to throw in their car... The lobe lift is almost as much as the valve lift on a stock LT1 . Also the seat-to-seat time is very short. Very, very aggressive ramp rate that will take tons of spring pressure, massive pushrods, and a rock solid valvetrain. I'm hoping my setup can keep them stable to ~7500 rpms, but it is all really a try as I go experiment - I do not think anyone has ran these lobes in a build anything like mine yet.

It will be ran with tight lash(probably .010/.012 cold) with shaft mounts, Trend 3/8 thick walled pushrods, Comp Pressure-fed EndureX lifters, and tons of spring pressure. Hopefully I can get 2k miles out of the springs and lifters, which is about a year and a half since its not a DD.

If I can't keep the valvetrain stable, I have a different set of springs that I may try next (Manley Nexteks). Its a delicate game with springs for a high RPM solid roller. You need the high open pressures to keep them stable at high RPMs, but you don't want to go too high and cause unnecessary wear on parts and rob horsepower.

Looking to do some big things with an NA LT1 in the next year or so .

Thanks so far to all those who have helped me in my progress far - specifically off the top of my head Sikora, Wicked94Z, Tony Mamo, and of course the LT1 man Llyod Elliot. It's been almost three years but I'll get this heap done eventually .
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You've got a lot of good guys in your corner! Can't wait to see it running!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice! what heads are you running?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

looks like a billet CC305
Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
looks like a billet CC305
Get it right, its a billet Hotcam .

The secret is the two Tornados in a fernco coupler, because if I install a second one behind the first(in reverse rotation of course) I get twin-spiral induction, which is almost as good as a turbo. Throw in an IAT Power Box resistor and it should be good for at least 650hp.

Those two speed secrets are free, gotta Paypal for the rest
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
Those two speed secrets are free, gotta Paypal for the rest
Paypal address???

I've had the IAT resistor mod on my speed density car for years
Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about isky tool room triple springs
Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob
IDK about those, but I have been running a set of Comp #947's for several years and they are still holding up great. I haven't even been good to them and backed off the rockers while it sits for periods of time. Overkill for my .714" lift (actually .688" after lash) maybe, but I haven't had to worry about failure or spending a ton on spring replacement.

What diameter spring are you limited to Puck?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gregrob
Triple springs seem unnecessary with the RPM range I will be dealing with. I can easily get the pressures I need from a quality high end dual spring like PAC or PSI/Nextek.

I don't mind having to swap springs after ~3k miles, since the car wont see that many miles for at least a year and a half, but would hate to end up trashing springs after a few months.

Springs are easy to swap and a relatively small expense, its just the risk of them taking something else with them that I am worried about.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
IDK about those, but I have been running a set of Comp #947's for several years and they are still holding up great. I haven't even been good to them and backed off the rockers while it sits for periods of time. Overkill for my .714" lift (actually .688" after lash) maybe, but I haven't had to worry about failure or spending a ton on spring replacement.

What diameter spring are you limited to Puck?
The lift is not what I am worried about, it is the lifespan of the springs because of the aggressive lobe acceleration rates.

Comp 947s look badass for their price. What height did you install them at and what lifters are you running? How many miles on the build, and have you checked the lifters/cam lobes? I calculated I should have 740# open and am curious how your lifters are holding up on your build which has even more then that.

PS: I'd imagine its a lot easier to just rotate the engine once a week instead of backing off the rockers .
Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
The lift is not what I am worried about, it is the lifespan of the springs because of the aggressive lobe acceleration rates.

Comp 947s look badass for their price. What height did you install them at and what lifters are you running? How many miles on the build, and have you checked the lifters/cam lobes? I calculated I should have 740# open and am curious how your lifters are holding up on your build which has even more then that.

PS: I'd imagine its a lot easier to just rotate the engine once a week instead of backing off the rockers .
I'm running Comp lifters. The regular solid roller ones....but they are old "pre" EndureX models. I wish I had those pressure fed ones. I have no idea how many miles are on them. Definately not that many as it's about 95% track only. I don't get the car out and race it alot. I'd say an average of 6 times a year and 5 to 8 passes each trip. I tend to take it on short (less than 10 miles) blasts when I get a wild hair. LOL IIRC the install height is right at 1.95"....it's been nearly ten years now. This is all on a BBC, so not directly comparable I guess. I had my intake off last year and pulled the lifters to check them over just by feel/visual. This is my second set of lifters. They have been in for about 4 years. The lobes look great. My Crane Gold rockers are starting to need preplacing and the lifters seemed good, but I am thinking hard about those EndureX ones. Or some Isky with the needleless roller bearings. That's what I really want. I've heard horror stories about solid roller lifters. I think I have just been blessed so far.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, definately rotate the engine at least that often. I must say I've been guilty of not even doing that. It's a wonder the poor thing hasn't given me trouble. I've been looking for it to give me an excuse to build something bigger with less compression and less camshaft, but it just keeps working and making good power. (Wanting to go from 433", 13.5:1,race gas, .714" on a 110* to 505" or 540", 11.5:1,pump gas, and about .650" on a 114*. My own crazy combo...mostly 'cause I can use parts I've scrounged.) I think it has finally started lifting a head gasket. Last time I started it, that is what I decided. I haven't touched it in a few months now. I've been spending all my time with these dang LT1's. LOL
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I'm running Comp lifters. The regular solid roller ones....but they are old "pre" EndureX models. I wish I had those pressure fed ones. I have no idea how many miles are on them. Definately not that many as it's about 95% track only. I don't get the car out and race it alot. I'd say an average of 6 times a year and 5 to 8 passes each trip. I tend to take it on short (less than 10 miles) blasts when I get a wild hair. LOL IIRC the install height is right at 1.95"....it's been nearly ten years now. This is all on a BBC, so not directly comparable I guess. I had my intake off last year and pulled the lifters to check them over just by feel/visual. This is my second set of lifters. They have been in for about 4 years. The lobes look great. My Crane Gold rockers are starting to need preplacing and the lifters seemed good, but I am thinking hard about those EndureX ones. Or some Isky with the needleless roller bearings. That's what I really want. I've heard horror stories about solid roller lifters. I think I have just been blessed so far.

Thanks, your posts are just what I was looking for .

The new style EndureX seem to be living a long time and getting great reviews around the net from some pretty stout SR combos, and are what LE insisted I get.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:14 AM
10 Second Club

you're looking at ~46 grams of additional spring/retainer mass with the 947 spring, and with a triple spring, ALOT of that mass is moving up and down (think more inertia=less valve control) You could run a solid 11/32 valve with a 1243 spring or a titanium 5/16" valve with a 947 and have roughly the same effective mass! spring rate isn't everything... especially on a small base circle.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Is this the cam you've been toting in your sig for all this time or did you wise up and have Craig spec the cam for you?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

cam looks sorta like something i've seen before...........cant wait to see u at the shootout
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
you're looking at ~46 grams of additional spring/retainer mass with the 947 spring, and with a triple spring, ALOT of that mass is moving up and down (think more inertia=less valve control) You could run a solid 11/32 valve with a 1243 spring or a titanium 5/16" valve with a 947 and have roughly the same effective mass! spring rate isn't everything... especially on a small base circle.
What I have should work fine, fingers crossed. If I notice anything weird like shorter lifespan or loss of control at high RPMs then I'll start doing some research again.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Is this the cam you've been toting in your sig for all this time or did you wise up and have Craig spec the cam for you?
Its an LE cam - I'm hoping to run 12's so me and you can run heads-up .

Quick Reply: Present for Puck!