LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

no block off on intake mani

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no block off on intake mani

So ever since I installed my longtubes, i forgot to order a block off plate for the back of the intake manifold where the egr valve goes in...would that affect performance much? My car is kinda slow right now but i figured it was due to the arcing of my spark plug wires being all messed up from touching the longtubes and getting burned...but would no block off plate also contribute to my car being slow? I have the race version pacesetter longtubes and was so damn frustrated with the install i forgot about all of the emissions stuff still on my car with no block offs.

oh and btw i know it's slow because I lost to my friend's 94 m6 by about a car length (and i took off first on a 20 roll) which was all stock with a gmmg muffler
Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you still have the EGR valve in place? If you do, then it is not causing a vacuum leak just yet. If you have deleted the valve and left everything open you'd have a massive leak.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you still have the EGR valve on and the solenoid plugged on the side that activates the valve you will be fine. My car currently sits in the same situation. I removed the tube from the manifold to the intake since it only allows air into the manifold when the valve is open. Then I left the EGR valve alone aside from removing the vacuum line off of it. The vacuum line from the valve to the EGR solenoid was removed and the port on the solenoid plugged to eliminate the vacuum leak when the ECM requests EGR function. If you do it this way you won't have any problems assuming the EGR valve is in good enough condition to stay closed at all time, otherwise you will have the massive aforementioned Vacuum leak.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds to me like its wide open...
Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL i do not know exactly what you just described but yeah...everything's wide open, yet my car still runs fine haha. In this diagram http://shbox.com/1/egr.jpg ....#15(the tube on the back of the intake mani) is completely off cause i'm running the pacesetter longtubes with no emissions hooked up at all. and everything is just open...
Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

That passage that goes to that is blocked by the EGR valve itself, if you stilllhave all the solonoids and vacuume lines hooked up the the EGR valve and it is not tuned out, everytime the EGR valve opens it will suck in air through that tube formerly hooked to the exh manifold. If you unhook the vacuume lines and the EGR valve is not stuck even slightly open you should be ok until you get a plte to cover it, but dont count on it.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Um.....yeah go on ebay right now and buy the $12 blockoff plates and call it good. How the hell does your car run correctly with that wide open?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe you missed the post where you can run without the tube - just not without the valve.

The tube/EGR path goes like this:

Header==========Manifold========Valve=========Plen um

When there is no vacuum applied to the valve it remains closed, hence no vacuum leak, even if the tube is not connected. Only when the PCM calls for the EGR solenoid to allow vacuum to the valve will there be an intake leak.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Maybe you missed the post where you can run without the tube - just not without the valve.

The tube/EGR path goes like this:

Header==========Manifold========Valve=========Plen um

When there is no vacuum applied to the valve it remains closed, hence no vacuum leak, even if the tube is not connected. Only when the PCM calls for the EGR solenoid to allow vacuum to the valve will there be an intake leak.
Ahhhh ic, learn somethin new everyday
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol nice, thanks everyone
Old 03-17-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you really run the car with nothing attached on the back? Did the hissing sound not tell you somehting is wrong?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

There's no hissing sound, and i still am currently running no tube in the back.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

just ordered the plate yesterday

Quick Reply: no block off on intake mani