LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil pressure problem, any help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure problem, any help?

Well heres the deal, gonna explain whats happening and see if anyone thinks the cause for this is the same as what i'm thinking or if anyone else has any other ideas.

Car is a 95, has an AI cam and basic bolt ons. I've been having trouble with my oil pressure according to the stock gauge dip down to far for my comfort levels under braking, and when pulling away from a stop light and the RPM's drop down to around 600ish. I also sometimes notice it when the car starts to warm up after a long drive but thats not as common as the other instances.

Oil i run is Valvoline VR1 as suggested to by Larry from Speed Inc. Stock oil pump and pan... I've heard that aftermarket gauge sensors are kinda crappy and can mess with the already somewhat inaccurate stock gauge. I do have one from autozone i believe, i replaced it when i broke mine while doing the camswap.

Now i thought it could be that the oil pump pick off fell off or is maybe loose or something like that? Not sure if there is an easier way to check that besides dropping the pan which is a job in itself as i have to drop the k-member correct?

Anyone else have any other ideas of things to check? Hoping its not anything too serious as there is no money for a re-build right now.

Please let me hear any input you have.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spray it
Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easy to check the pickup. Drain the oil and then bend a metal clothes hanger or something similar so that you can slide it around the bottom of the pan. If you hit something then its the pickup. Should be obvious as they are pretty big.

also, if you are questioning the electric gauge just buy a cheap $20 mechanical gauge and hook it up to the port over the oil filter.

Im guessing the pickup is off. Out of the 4 LT1 cars Ive owned the pickup fell off of two of them, even twice off of one.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

yep, Id try a mechanical gauge. That will eliminate your factory gauge, whether or not..

I had something similar, happen to me a while back. My engine had a "lower-than usual" oil pressure reading, at start up. Then, the more you drove it, the lower the reading got. As a cheap test, I replaced the AC delco oil filter with a WIX filter, added what oil I lost, and started the car. The oil pressure was back to normal! I dont know what happened, whether the filter collapsed, plugged up or what.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine used to drop to about 5psi when I launched the car.... I put a B&B pan on and all was good
Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could also rap on the bottom of the pan with a soft mallet. You should be able to hear it bounce around pretty easily.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the ideas so far guys, i will be changing the oil here sometime this week and i'll do the hanger trick to see if the pickup fell off, i'm crossing my fingers thats what it is!! lol

The car has a WIX filter on it right now, would you suggest another wix or go with an ac delco this time?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

you can just hit the bottom of the pan with your hand without draining oil. youll hear it if it fell off. it sinks. you dont need to drain the oil and stick something in there nonsense.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Nope, Id stay away from AC delco filters. I've had great luck with WIX and Larry has as well.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
you can just hit the bottom of the pan with your hand without draining oil. youll hear it if it fell off. it sinks. you dont need to drain the oil and stick something in there nonsense.
I tried that and never could get it to bounce. Guess I wasnt hitting it hard enough. Especially when its swimming in oil. A mallet would probably work but I didnt have one.

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
Thanks for all the ideas so far guys, i will be changing the oil here sometime this week and i'll do the hanger trick to see if the pickup fell off, i'm crossing my fingers thats what it is!! lol

The car has a WIX filter on it right now, would you suggest another wix or go with an ac delco this time?
Yeah, I was happy when I found my pickup was all that was wrong. But then I realized I had to pull the pan, which I despise doing on these cars.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
lmfao so you can hear it trough the oil????? get real

Drain the oil and use a light or hanger