LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hood Insulator Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Insulator Info

Hi, I had three requests for info on where I got my hood insulator when I had posted a photo in another users thread. The thread was asking for photos of valve covers so instead of hijacking his thread I will post the info here.

First the Hood Insulator:

Now the info:

The hood insulator was a Christmas gift from my wife two years ago (so almost 2 1/2 years ago) and she got it from "carmotorsports.com" and at that time it was about $190. However in the past couple of years the price has jumped to $295. At the risk of sounding like their publicist, I feel I should also say they are made of top quality materials to better protect the hood from heat and to stand up to the wear and tear that a hood insulator faces. Even the thread used for the embroidering is heat, oil and stain resistant and you can choose what you want embroidered on it (at least you could then but I am pretty sure you still can). I have had mine on full time for more than 2 years and have had coolant sprayed all over it once and oil splashed up on it once during that time and it cleaned right up leaving no trace. I am running headers and for the first year they were not wrapped and I have seen absolutely no sign of heat damage. In fact the first photo I posted was from about 1 1/2 years ago and the second photo was taken about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

I take my car to local car shows so for me the investment was well worth it but again I got it for about $100 less. Having said that I would still shell out the $295 for this over buying a stock insulator if you have any thoughts of showing your car. I always get comments on how nice it looks and it does make your car stand out next to others of the same type and year range. Well that's my two cents, I hope it helps.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to have a new one but not for that price.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Opps I never noticed when I snapped those photos that there was a bunch of fuzz on the insulator and it reflected the flash to look really bad. I was in a hurry when I took them so I went out today and took brand new photos. All I did was brush off the fuzz and dust with my hand I am sure if I vacuumed the dirt out and wiped it down with a damp cloth it would look pretty much new. You will notice a bunch of lines on the one side and that is impressions from where the hood pushes the insulator down on my MSD 6AL. I need to try and fix that situation.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

"Word" I know what you mean and that is why I made sure I posted an updated price for it so no one ran off to get one for $190 (which is still alot) only to find they were $295. Sorry WRD1972, your name made me think of word so I couldn't resist the stupid pun, and by stupid I mean dumb not "Stooopid".

.....I know......uncalled for.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is someone on ebay that sells them for less than $100 with a decal of your choosing. Search "camaro hood insulation"
Old 03-19-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^im sure its not even close to as good for only 100 bucks
Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure how well a decal would hold up under the hood but it does give a low cost alternative, thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for posting this link Airborn, i looked into this and it gave me a great idea, Im going to go with a 3-d flame print thats outlined in blue piping. Thanks for all the info
Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

No problem, glad I could help. Yeah if they can do that for you that would look awsome with your valve covers.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Teching In

7 1/2 years later the site still sells these molded hood mats, currently at $189.95 (for Z28 stitched one, not identical to one above).

Thanks for the link. It seems there's generic mats that aren't molded, just flat, for cheap or these. I'll be getting one of these.

Quick Reply: Hood Insulator Info