LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Operation fix it

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Operation fix it

Here's the situation: My '95 Formula is firing and starting, but surges in the rpm range at idle. I had a similar "feeling" problem a few years ago that turned out to be a bent pushrod complete with a roller rocker hitting the valve cover (special thanks goes out to the previous owner who installed 1.6 RR's on stock springs! Don't do this!)

Before the idle problem occured, I noticed a slight decrease in power over the last month or so I drove the car last fall before it was put away for the winter.

Because the situation reminded me of how the motor ran when it had a bent pushrod, me and a buddy pulled off the driver's side valve cover and started the car and looked everything over-but everything seemed to be in good working order. We haven't checked the passenger side.

I checked over the plug wires, which all look to be in perfect condition, they were replaced about a year and a half ago (MSD super conductors) along with the spark plugs.

What do you guys think? Could it be a bad coil? Bent pushrod? Ignition control module? Something to do with the throttle body possibly? Optispark? It's a '95 OBD1-I don't believe the car is throwing any codes...thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possibly be the icm..could have it tested to be sure. If not maybe iat sensor?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ignition control module (ICM) from what I've read when it goes bad, the car just dies while driving, and doesn't want to start-mainly to heat issues/the ICM getting too hot. I got a new coil to put on, I might stop by the dealership and get a delco ICM to go with it. Both units on the car look like factory, and even if that isn't the problem at hand right now, I'm sure they could cause problems at any point so I'll go ahead and replace them.

Just judging from the symptoms I've read about on here from these 2 things going bad, I'm thinking this isn't the problem.