LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 questions... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 questions... Please help

Hey guys so im new to the forum.. i have always loved camaros and trans ams but never have had one until last week when i bought my 1996 camaro z28 with less than 100k miles on it for about 7000 dollars... i think that it was a good deal... let me give you guys a ittle background on myself... i am a 21 year old male from texas i am currently an active duty Marine who deploys in june to little background on myself... i am a 21 year old male from texas i am currently an active duty Marine who deploys in june to afghanistan.... now here are my questions the guy i bought the car from said it had a LT4 firehawk crate engine in it that is brand new and only had like 10k miles on it how do know if this is true or not? is there a way to look at the engine to tell exactly what it is? is the LT4 a great engine like i hear it is? he also said it has a zoom clutch rated for 700hp is that good and how can i check to see if it what he says it is? i know i need a new crank sensor and i was wondering about how much i can expect to pay for that part and if i could do it myself or if i should just get a shop to do it... and it also has a k&n cold air intake which i do know for sure lol.. it running dual flowmaster exhaust... i know i sound like im totally lost and thats because i am but i am very anxious to learn as much as possible because i really want this car and just cars in general to be my new hobby... all help is greatly appreciated general to be my new hobby... all help is greatly appreciated i have about 3000 or so to speand to make this a more badass car than it already is so all suggestions would be great! i want more horsepower and i want as much as i can get for the money obviously like most people.. lol thanks for putting up with my newbie bullshit so overall my question boils down to what should be my next performance mods that are with in my price range?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the LT4 is as good as you think it is! Well Checking the heads casting numbers and intake will tell you if it has a LT4 top end, should also have roller rockers already and pulling the pan and looking for 4bolt mains is the only way to tell on the bottom end as far as I know.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Obvious difference . . . the intake should be red . . .
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My intake is red?????
Lt4 intake will also have lips near the heads intake ports that seat in the heads
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all thank you for your service!!!! I'll be enlisting in the Air force here soon as an 18-19 year old by the time i actually get in :/

The LT4 assuming everything else is good and kept up for 7k it better be!!

With 3k I'd look at AI's Cam swap package I'm sure the LT4's flow pretty good stock (don't hold me to that) and with 3k that gives a lot of room for the B.S stuff that always comes up. Should put down around 350-370 with a cam only car spec'd by them for your needs/goals
Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for all of your help guys... how do yall feel about performance chips... do they even help or no?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!

get a mail order tune
Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Pop the drivers valve cover and there should be a "LT4" cast on the cylinder head.

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Obvious difference . . . the intake should be red . . .
On the outside and underneath.