LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Kill Switch, Do you have one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kill Switch, Do you have one?

Hey guys ive been doing some research on kill switch's and some type of preventative measure from being stolen. I found the thread below stating its very simple and cheap if you know what your doing. Well i personally dont know what im doing but want to learn, anyone know of a write up or can someone shoot me a pm to help me out if possible. Thanks

96 z28 m6
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
Hey guys ive been doing some research on kill switch's and some type of preventative measure from being stolen. I found the thread below stating its very simple and cheap if you know what your doing. Well i personally dont know what im doing but want to learn, anyone know of a write up or can someone shoot me a pm to help me out if possible. Thanks

96 z28 m6
Usually when a car is stolen in my area, it's just towed away by a truck, nothing you can do to prevent that. If they want to do it the traditional way of breaking in, then they need to bypass vats with one of those fany switch boards that the dealer has that can switch to any one of the 15 different pellet values.
Something really easy you can do is to look at the clutch pedal with the driver side clutch pedal removed. There is a black sensor attached to the clutch pedal bracket, that is your clutch safety switch. If you splice into either one of the two wires and run it to a regular momentary switch that you can buy at RadioShack, then you have a cheap and easy theift deterrent that you can hide somewhere. You can get pretty elaborate with other kill switch ideas, but I don't want to go into that.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Yeah i plumbed mine into the clutch safety switch, then you can put yours wherever you want, I hid mine in plain sight (as in used a stock switch to hide it) really you gotta remember, a kill switch is onyl gonna buy you time, admittedly time is a theif's enemy, so it does help. But I plan on doing a switch panel with and IGN switch on it too, that way you need to hit both to operate, confue em a little more.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Usually when a car is stolen in my area, it's just towed away by a truck, nothing you can do to prevent that. If they want to do it the traditional way of breaking in, then they need to bypass vats with one of those fany switch boards that the dealer has that can switch to any one of the 15 different pellet values.
Something really easy you can do is to look at the clutch pedal with the driver side clutch pedal removed. There is a black sensor attached to the clutch pedal bracket, that is your clutch safety switch. If you splice into either one of the two wires and run it to a regular momentary switch that you can buy at RadioShack, then you have a cheap and easy theift deterrent that you can hide somewhere. You can get pretty elaborate with other kill switch ideas, but I don't want to go into that.
Just to make sure i get this, i expose the wire of the safety switch and wrap the momentary switch wire around the sensor wire, cover that up and i just have to locate the momentary switch?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
Just to make sure i get this, i expose the wire of the safety switch and wrap the momentary switch wire around the sensor wire, cover that up and i just have to locate the momentary switch?
Nope, take one of the two wires that goes to the safety switch (either one, doesn't matter), cut it, and run the two ends you just created to the momentary switch, that way you can only complete the circuit when you push in the clutch pedal AND push the momentary switch.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Nope, take one of the two wires that goes to the safety switch (either one, doesn't matter), cut it, and run the two ends you just created to the momentary switch, that way you can only complete the circuit when you push in the clutch pedal AND push the momentary switch.
I do this to the fuel pump fuse in all my dd's. Plus your retarded friends cant take the car without asking
Old 04-16-2011, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

i use my cigarette lighter as my kill switch
Old 04-16-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will good car arlarm prevent car from being stole ? some guy event told me install one of those fake car arlarm light thing on the dash. to let other know this car have arlarm. to prevent from being touch lol, like some camera on the shop you go to is fake. Im not say in a bad way.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a 1/4" phone jack for the switch. Drill a hole and mount it under the dash. No one will find it and if they do, then what? Cheap and simple. You can wire it so you have to have the plug to make the circuit or use the built in switch. You can ground the ignition, kill the starter or whatever.

Al
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Launching!

MikeyZ how did you run the kill switch through the cigarette lighter. Thats what Im going to do just wondering how you did it?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Launching!

PM me if anyone wants a write up.. (for an LS1 not sure about lt1)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as switches, i like to use the magnetic ones radio shack sells, u know the ones that people used to put on there windows for house alarms?? They work awesome and u can hide em anywhere, under carpet, in seats, headliner, even behind plastic panels,just need a stronger magnet for that one...there are also pressure switches which are very flat and work well, most car stereo shops/suppliers have them.... Hope this helps
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 80/TA/LT1
As far as switches, i like to use the magnetic ones radio shack sells, u know the ones that people used to put on there windows for house alarms?? They work awesome and u can hide em anywhere, under carpet, in seats, headliner, even behind plastic panels,just need a stronger magnet for that one...there are also pressure switches which are very flat and work well, most car stereo shops/suppliers have them.... Hope this helps
Except they can't carry much current. OK to use in a relay circuit. There are many, many switches you can hide. A simple "push on, push off" switch on a "U" bracket can be hid anywhere and activated with a paper clip or ball point pen refill through a small hole. Hard as hell to find. Regular toggle switch can hide in lots of places if you try.

Friend of mine years ago thought up a great theft deterrent for his Vette. Hose clamped a revolver to the steering column and made a stiff wire to go between the trigger and the clutch pedal. Second day he shot his self. Was able to drive to the hospital. Have to admit, it worked.

Al 95 Z28
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Al
Except they can't carry much current. OK to use in a relay circuit. There are many, many switches you can hide. A simple "push on, push off" switch on a "U" bracket can be hid anywhere and activated with a paper clip or ball point pen refill through a small hole. Hard as hell to find. Regular toggle switch can hide in lots of places if you try.

Friend of mine years ago thought up a great theft deterrent for his Vette. Hose clamped a revolver to the steering column and made a stiff wire to go between the trigger and the clutch pedal. Second day he shot his self. Was able to drive to the hospital. Have to admit, it worked.

Al 95 Z28
Oh wow, at least he didn't use a shotgun.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Launching!

When im in a not too good neighborhood I just unplug the harness ro my opti, they will never figure it out if they don't know LT1s

Quick Reply: Kill Switch, Do you have one?