LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whats going on here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats going on here?

So I have a 1995 camaro Z28 automatic that i just bought for cheap from a older neighbor that was moving away. i pushed it over to my house and began tearing into it, the motor wouldnt turn over by hand so i pulled it and saw there was a hole in one of the heads, lucky for me I had a spare '95 LT1 from a previous camaro i had, the engine only has 67,000 miles on it so i threw it in and it started right up. The problem its having now is when idling it is fine, sounds good but if you accelerate rapidly and just punch the pedal down it turns off and sounds like its running out of gas just sputters and turns off. If you try to turn it back on right after it dies it wont itll just crank but if you wait 5 minutes then give it a try it turns right back on like normal. If you rev it slightly and ease into it, theres no problem it revs right up and sounds great. So today we were trying to figure out if we're losing fuel pressure so we decided to take a spin around the block for the very first time and we found out that the transmission might be bad. It wont shift out of first at all. i was told by a friend that stopped by that there's a hose that connects to the trans that might be disconnected and be the cause of the trans problem since the previous owner mentioned to us that the engine was bad but the trans was still in great shape. The transmission has 115k miles on it. What could be the source of each problem? Am i going to need a new fuel pump and trans? hope not
Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

It does this in Park?

You might want to check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), see if it's plugged in or working at all.

You can also check fuel pressure at the rail; if it's been sitting, the fuel filter is probably gummed up.
Make sure it gets some fresh gas either way.

95s have eletronically controller transmissions.
If it's not shifting, it might be unplugged or low on fluid.
The TV cable went away after 1993
Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Restricted User

yea it does it while in park I thought it could be the fuel filter so I put a new one on it that same day and dropped some clean fuel in the tank. The fluid level is good and the fluid looks clean but ill check on the TPS today right after work.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Restricted User

So the TPS was checked today and everything looks good all connections are good what else could the problem be?? and i threw a fuel pressure tester on the lines and off with the key in the on position it reads just below 40 psi with the vacuum line off it reads right around 47 psi. i cant really do a true WOT test because of the tranny issue but how are those numbers looking?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Restricted User

havent really heard back from anybody on here for a little while but i just really need some help on this. So a local mechanic come over and took a look at the car. I have replaced the fuel pump (using the trap door method, so easy this got the job done under under 30 mins), i put a new fuel filter on it, i changed the spark plugs and wires, replaced the tps with a new unit, checked fuel pressure at the lines again and everything was good with the pressure, new intake elbow because the original one was ripped, and a new AIC sensor as well. Now that i have put a few hundred dollars into it and still havent been able to resolve the problem i really need some help. The mechanic said the engine might be dying out like that because of the dirty MAF sensor i took a look at it today and the previous owner had it descreened and it does look dirty so i cleaned it up a bit but no help. I looked around under the car and i saw that there was a couple wires that looked ripped near the transmission. They went connected to the VSS so i thought that might be why my speedo doesnt work and why my trans doesnt shift out of first. I reconnected them to the original wires and went to turn on the car but now the car wont turn on at all. I went back under and disconnected them thinking i had crossed them or they werent suppose to be connected but still the car wont turn on. Anybody experience this before or know what may be going on here?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hum I would work on getting stuff fixed the old owner may have hacked and go from there. If the PCM has no speed input from the trans it wont know that it needs to shift. If you hook the wires back up and try to start it will the starter engage at all of does the security light just flash at you?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Restricted User

the starter engages and the engine cranks but i finally got it back on today. I had another mechanic friend of mine come by and he said the opti might be bad or the wires coming off the opti to the plugs might be crossed or misplaced at the wrong plug. he said it was throwing a code saying the MAP sensor was bad but that the timing or bad opti could make the engine throw that code. does this information sound correct?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ELMAPA818
the starter engages and the engine cranks but i finally got it back on today. I had another mechanic friend of mine come by and he said the opti might be bad or the wires coming off the opti to the plugs might be crossed or misplaced at the wrong plug. he said it was throwing a code saying the MAP sensor was bad but that the timing or bad opti could make the engine throw that code. does this information sound correct?
You should just check the wires. heres a diagram
http://shbox.com/1/opti.jpg
but.. i don't think it would cause it not to start. it would start but feel like its missing or lacking power.
Also is the PCM from the original motor or the motor you put in it?
if it was from the motor you put in it was the motor previously an M6?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Restricted User

thanks for the diagram! i ust got home and was about to start looking for it. im going to check out the wires first thing tomorrow but i have the original pcm that was in the car, i have the one that came with the new motor in storage it was on a A4 as well though. should i try swapping them? the motor turned on today its just having problems with the rough idle and shutting off when flooring the gas pedal to quickly.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Restricted User

so i checked out the diagram and compared it to the plugs and wires and everything looks correct. Plugs are getting spark, wires are in correct position. The good news is we finally got the transmission to shift we reconnected some loose wires going to the VSS and bingo!! shifts smooth.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

You change you map sensor yet mine was acting the same way and it turned out to be my map sensor it was causing the car to lean out and die waited a few min and would start up again
Old 04-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 93z28ltone
You change you map sensor yet mine was acting the same way and it turned out to be my map sensor it was causing the car to lean out and die waited a few min and would start up again
Your car would die out when you revved the engine to quickly too? Thanks for the idea though a friend of mine has a brand new MAP sensor that he'll just give me for a couple cold beers I might try that tomorrow after work if it doesn't start to rain out here I also have to change the trans mount hopefully we get some good weather here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Whats going on here?