LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bright Lights in a 93 Formula.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright Lights in a 93 Formula.

Hello world,

I have a 93 Firebird formula, as stated previously!
Anyway, this is probably a simple fix, but I wouldn't have a clue on where to get started.
Oookay, After searching online for what seems to be countless hours with no avail, im still stuck blinding everyone on the road. My headlights are stuck in the brights position. Ive tried what I know which was flipping switches and pulling levers, and yet nothing happens.
Im afraid what has happened is the trigger mechanism in my steering wheel that controls the lights when you pull the (windsheild/ cruise control) lever towards you, has broke. It doesnt click it just moves towards me with some mild resistance. Any of you have any clue as to how to fix this? Or what part I would need in replacing said broken trigger?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Letum; 03-30-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo! ^^;
Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well to fix it you can find the rod that runs down the column and follow it to the high low beam switch and try and manually put them back on low beams for now untill you can figure out if its the switch or where the linkage connects
Old 03-30-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

To fix it right, you'll need to pull the steering wheel IF you don't find where it's binding near the bottom of the steering column. I got a steering wheel puller kit with lock plate remover for about $25.00. The plunger is kind of an odd shaped piece that rides against a small bend in the rod on the left side of the column bowl. Be sure to disconnect the battery and wait 15-20 minutes before disassembling to be sage with the airbag...

These are pics from another GM car. The first one, you can see the rod at the bottom center. The lever pushes it down the column via a small plastic piece (bottom piece on the paper in 2nd pic). 3rd pic shows the turn signal cancelling cam and base for the turn signal & wiper arm removed (you won't have to take all of this out, you can rotate the cam to the left turn position to get access to the hi-lo beam actuator rod & plastic cap). The plastic cap for the rod that the lever rides against will be in the notch in the bowl at the far 9 o'clock position just inside the bowl, visible in pic 4.

What I can't show with these pics is the cable reel "clockspring" for the radio controls and airbag in the bowl as this is an older car without SIR.
Attached Thumbnails Bright Lights in a 93 Formula.-01.jpg   Bright Lights in a 93 Formula.-02.jpg   Bright Lights in a 93 Formula.-03.jpg   Bright Lights in a 93 Formula.-04.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys,
This actually helps a lot.

Gojira94,
The pictures were fantastic to see. Gives me a good idea of how to get this sucker working. Ill have to try it this sunday when I'm off work. If I need the pulling kit, ill let you know!

Quick Reply: Bright Lights in a 93 Formula.