LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rag joint eliminator and power steering pump pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rag joint eliminator and power steering pump pulley

Ok since I've started DDing my car again there are two things that I need to address. I would post about the power steering pump pulley in the steering section but I hope you guys can help me out.

First things first...My steering wheel has a lot of play in it. I posted about the car failing inspection because the tilt wheel adjustment was loose. Well I pulled the steering wheel off and the 4 bolts that attach the tilt wheel adjustment were tight - but the steering wheel can still be pushed down a bit with some effort.

I can feel my car grab like every little unevenness (hard to explain) in the road...especially at higher speeds. Something has got to be worn out. I've replaced outer tie rod ends with little to no improvement. I've searched a bit and have been the rag joint eliminator helps with this issue - but are there any down sides from replacing the presumably worn rag joint with a solid piece rather than replacing the rag joint with an OEM piece?

Also does anyone sell an oem rag joint? I can't seem to find one anywhere...

The other issue. The power steering pump pulley needs to be replaced. I cannot find this part anywhere either...

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most parts stores have rag joints on the help shelf, dont know the quality.
I run a rag joint eliminater and notice very little vibration cant remember who made it.

edit: i got it from this place. http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/
Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ls1 shaft modded is a cleaner less bulky solution to getting rid of the ragjoint.. the modifacation takes 10 minutes.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the unbalanced engineering part...I may try just a replacement rag joint to see if it eliminates the problem then decide whether I want to go with the ls1 style shaft or with the solid piece.

Any ideas on the power steering pump pulley?

Quick Reply: Rag joint eliminator and power steering pump pulley