LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new IAC path for people with monoblade or other aftermarket TB's

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new IAC path for people with monoblade or other aftermarket TB's

i just got started on this today. as you can see in the photo, i have too swap to a 1/4 inch to -4 90, then to a straight -4 push lock loop the hose back to the other 90 degree then back into the intake. i have sealed the hole in the intake with silicon and will also be filling the inside hole on the monoblade. this should allow the IAC to still function correctly and use filtered air, if your car is still using a maf. my PCV was disconnected anyway due to a exhaust evac system.
i did this due to the fact i was sick of trying to tune the idle. it kept fouling the back 4 plugs and i got tired of pulling fuel on those 4 injectors and checking plugs. since the motors out right now it made since to resolve this small issue.
Attached Thumbnails new IAC path for people with monoblade or other aftermarket TB's-under-tb.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Default 2nd issue

i got bored and made the hour long round trip drive to get the 90 degree fitting. then i had to deal with the new clearance issue. . since i am waiting on the straight push lock hose end, i ground off the nipple on the 90 to get it to fit. i will have to see if the threads will seal it air tight without the flare inside.
Attached Thumbnails new IAC path for people with monoblade or other aftermarket TB's-pic-3.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

that's it. simple and easy, with the right pieces. if the turn in the hose bothers you buy 2 more 90's and a male coupler
Attached Thumbnails new IAC path for people with monoblade or other aftermarket TB's-final-pic.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty cool idea but i just epoxied my tb instead.

Once the motor is running, I just have to drill out the bleed hole in the tb and it should work out well.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see the issue with this. I have a AS&M Monoblade and my 383 purrs at idle. The idle circuit goes right into the intake plenum like stock.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ralls
I don't see the issue with this. I have a AS&M Monoblade and my 383 purrs at idle. The idle circuit goes right into the intake plenum like stock.
BBK, Trickflows, Summits and many others deposit the idle air right into the plenum and that makes the idle BLM's go to total ****. We have to mod our TB's to force idle air into the idle air circuit like the stock TB does. Total BS but it really helps the idle BLMs. Before I had awful splits. Now with the mod, I have 128/128 95% of the time.

Here are some pics of my TB mod:

Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

i also have the asm monoblade. if you look at how the factory iac is designed you can see a monoblade will not allow the factory system to work. i also had my car to idle decent but it would still foul the back 4 plugs.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wrd1972
BBK, Trickflows, Summits and many others deposit the idle air right into the plenum and that makes the idle BLM's go to total ****. We have to mod our TB's to force idle air into the idle air circuit like the stock TB does. Total BS but it really helps the idle BLMs. Before I had awful splits. Now with the mod, I have 128/128 95% of the time.

Here are some pics of my TB mod:

nice job. i wish i could have done something like that with the monoblade. maybe this time around i can get the iac to actually control the idle, instead of the blade. when the temp changes the idle requirements change and finding a happy medium sucks. if the iac works like this (which i don't see why it wouldn't) the ecm can go back to adjusting it to the level i put in the ecm tables.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Pretty cool idea but i just epoxied my tb instead.

Once the motor is running, I just have to drill out the bleed hole in the tb and it should work out well.
looks good. i cant do that with a monoblade. oh well good idea though
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
i also have the asm monoblade. if you look at how the factory iac is designed you can see a monoblade will not allow the factory system to work. i also had my car to idle decent but it would still foul the back 4 plugs.
I'm just trying to understand this because I never had a reason to do it. I don't do my own tuning so maybe my BLM's are wack and I don't know. It's been a while since I've see the stock setup. The stock IAC directs air into that passage between the throttle blades right? And that passage has it's own tunnel system to each port?

Does the vacuum port below the TB also tie into that same passage?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

I'm just trying to understand this because I never had a reason to do it. I don't do my own tuning so maybe my BLM's are wack and I don't know. It's been a while since I've see the stock setup. The stock IAC directs air into that passage between the throttle blades right? And that passage has it's own tunnel system to each port?

Does the vacuum port below the TB also tie into that same passage?
yeah man. it comes in the hole on the front side of the blade. it is then controlled by the IAC plunger. the ecm opens or close it to control the idle. it also controls it on deceleration to keep the engine from stalling. it then goes into the passage to the intake. this is where the monoblade just dumps it into the plenum. where as the factory unit and some aftermarkets channel it into the little raised area behind the blade that feeds the common area in the belly of the intake. yes the pcv (i guess that's the port your referring too ) also feeds to this common area. that area feeds into passages that go into each intake runner in the intake. you can remove the huge plugs on the bottom of the intake and see how they all feed to each other and the common area. its also wise to take those out and clean out the carbon every once in a blue moon. mine were pretty bad.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got ya. My motor is out too so I may have to try this.

One thing my car does suffer is cold start idle. Well it idles fine but you need to let it warm up for 5 minutes before you try to drive it otherwise it dies when you let off the throttle too quick. I wonder if this mod could help fix this..
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

I got ya. My motor is out too so I may have to try this.

One thing my car does suffer is cold start idle. Well it idles fine but you need to let it warm up for 5 minutes before you try to drive it otherwise it dies when you let off the throttle too quick. I wonder if this mod could help fix this..
that's a issue mine had as well. do you have a way to monitor your iac, once you get it back in? as i tried to make adjustments to mine it would be a 10th of a turn on the throttle blade and the iac would go from max closed (130 i think, been awhile) and go back to max open (0 i think, that might be backwards)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

looks good. i cant do that with a monoblade. oh well good idea though
Ah didn't see the monoblade part.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's a issue mine had as well. do you have a way to monitor your iac, once you get it back in? as i tried to make adjustments to mine it would be a 10th of a turn on the throttle blade and the iac would go from max closed (130 i think, been awhile) and go back to max open (0 i think, that might be backwards)
Yeh that's backwards. IAC count 0 is fully closed. Fully open is 130 or 190.. I forget the number.

I have Tuner CATS and a few other data logging programs. I don't do my tuning except small things. My IAC is fully open at idle last time I datalogged it.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

160 should be fully open
Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

lol you can tell its been a year since i looked at my data logs. after neck surgery, a cold winter and a new wife, i can finally get back to the car. maybe i can finish it before king tournament season starts in june.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought I would ask here since it's on topic. I was messing around with my intake manifold and pulled out the bottom plugs. The air passage hole for #2 cylinder is smaller than all the rest. Does anyone else's look like this or did they not drill mine large enough at the factory?
I was also wondering if it would help to drill all the passages a little larger for big cube motors. I know the IAC can only allow a certain amount of air through. For my IAC to be effective, it shouldn't have to be fully open at idle to feed the motor.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

ill check mine if i get out tomorrow, felt like **** all weekend so i got not one thing done to the car
Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I would ask here since it's on topic. I was messing around with my intake manifold and pulled out the bottom plugs. The air passage hole for #2 cylinder is smaller than all the rest. Does anyone else's look like this or did they not drill mine large enough at the factory?
I was also wondering if it would help to drill all the passages a little larger for big cube motors. I know the IAC can only allow a certain amount of air through. For my IAC to be effective, it shouldn't have to be fully open at idle to feed the motor.
It is pretty common for people to drill out all of them to be the same size for even air distribution.

I would just find the bit that barely fits in the largest hole, and clean them all out with that.

Quick Reply: new IAC path for people with monoblade or other aftermarket TB's