LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help!!! Tunercats Error: No response from PCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Tunercats Error: No response from PCM

Posted a week or so ago about trying to start my car for the first time. It was purchased in pieces and in the middle of an auto to manual conversion. I couldn't get the fuel pump to run when you turn the key on. Pump runs with prime connector fine. I have no signal from pcm to fpr. Determined the PCM is from the donor car and it is probably the VATS causing my problem. Ordered USB to ALDL cable had have tunercats and the correct definition file for my car. I can't get my computer to read the pcm. I get the error "NO RESPONSE FROM PCM". Anybody have any ideas?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

fuses good ? there is a laundry list of things it could be man . just check fuses grounds etc etc . unf its hard to do that over the comp
Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Fuses are all good. Turn the key on and the car cranks, oil pressure builds under cranking, no fuel. I have power on pin 16 of the diagnostic connector, grounds at the diagnostic connector are good.

Answer these questions if you would.
If the gauges move a bit when I turn on the ignition and the lights (security, abs, ect) come on when I turn on the key, doesn't that mean the PCM is getting power?

When I crank the car I get oil pressure, but the tach does not come up off zero. Should it?

When I first turn on the key the SES light does not come on, Should it?

I'm trying to figure out if its a problem in the car or the ALDL cable.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who made the ALDL cable and did you set the program to read from the port the ALDL is plugged into on your PC/Laptop? When you installed the cable driver it should have popped up a port number that it is on on the PC/ laptop and then you have to set the program that you are using to comunicate with the cars PCM to use the port on the laptop the ALDL is plugged into other wise defalt it's not the same and if you swap to another usb port on the PC/laptop it's not the same as when installed although the computer may transfer the drivers to the new port you need figure out the port number on the PC/laptop and select it in the program. Not sure if thats it but double check it.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, the usb cable drivers setup the cable on com3 by default. I set the tunercats program to com3. I also change the usb driver to com4 and changed the program too, just to try that. The cable is a new cable from aldlcables.com . So it does not work on com3 or com4. If you turn your key on does the SES light come on for a few seconds then go out? Mine is not doing that. I'm wondering if I have a power or ground issue to the PCM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Well after some research and checking wires I figured it out. The donor car for the 6spd swap was a 94. I converted the engine wiring harness but I missed one wire not a very important wire, just the PCM power wire. On a 94 it comes from inside the car, on a 95 it comes from the under hood fuse block through the c100 connector on the passenger side front inner fender. Thanks for the input guys....
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol at least you found it.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Tunercats Error: No response from PCM