LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

key stuck in "on" position

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key stuck in "on" position

i have a 95 firebird LT1 A4, key is stuck in on postion, and i can turn it to start. i can not take it back to get key out. how can i fix this?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet that weird aluminum thing with the gears on it is broke or wore out, it's been a long time since I've been a gm collumn can't remember the exact name of it.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

2 things that can cause that that I've dealt with; One is a loose lock plate, as mentioned above, can cause the lockout shaft not to back out into a notch on the lock plate (there are 12 notches that is can back into when the lock cylinder is rotated fully back). The other is the shifter not getting 'far enough' forward into park. Easiest step before you remove the steering wheel is to pull the shifter trim from the console and see if you're getting it all the way forward. You might be able to see if something is getting in the way, making it think the trans is still in Reverse...
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gojira94
2 things that can cause that that I've dealt with; One is a loose lock plate, as mentioned above, can cause the lockout shaft not to back out into a notch on the lock plate (there are 12 notches that is can back into when the lock cylinder is rotated fully back). The other is the shifter not getting 'far enough' forward into park. Easiest step before you remove the steering wheel is to pull the shifter trim from the console and see if you're getting it all the way forward. You might be able to see if something is getting in the way, making it think the trans is still in Reverse...
i tried adjusting the cable in with the shifter, no luck. i think the plate that rotates with key is jacked up. is that what youre talking about? i am pulling the steering wheel off to hopefully see whats going on.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed the park/shift to steering key lock cable is outta adjustment or is gummed up from spilling **** down into the shifter
Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If not ur going to need a couple of speciality tools to get to the lock to replace it a Haynes manual will help ALOT
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also u will have to disconnect the vats connection to the lock under the dash and feed it up thru the colloumn and feed the new one thru... Don't take it apart until you have the tools and parts ... It's deep and you'll only Wana be in there once...
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also...... You will need a replacement lock with the same key pellet value you cars PCM needs to pass vats and crank
Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where are u located?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Agreed the park/shift to steering key lock cable is outta adjustment or is gummed up from spilling **** down into the shifter
Yep, jiggle that cable while trying to turn the lock cylinder back, or if you can get a buddy to help, pull/push on the linkage on the (left) side of the trans while turning the key back.

Here's a couple pics from another GM car (my old Buick). The first shows the column stripped down- you hopefully won't need to go this far in & take the bowl off if you have to go in at all. The lock pin is at the 11 o'clock position. The plastic piece at the 10 o'clock position rotates counter-clockwise when you twist the key to start and it withdraws the lock pin from the lock plate. Lock plate is the 12-notch piece in the 2nd pic.
Attached Thumbnails key stuck in "on" position-01.jpg   key stuck in "on" position-02.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if this will help, but its worth a shot. My grand prix will do the same thing periodically. I can't remember exactly what causes it, but I think it has something to do with the car not realizing its in park. The car still thinks its in gear and thus won't let you take the key out.

For my grand prix, all I have to do to get the key out is to tilt the steering wheel all the way up, reach up under the wheel near the column, and then push in this silver barrel type thing. I think its some sort of solenoid or something, it doesn't take much pressure to push it at all. Just a little tap.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Teching In

i tried shooting some kroil in the cylinder to free it up but had no luck. i tried adjusting the shifter cable (shown on shoebox page.) i tore the column down as its not a huge task. vats has been bypassed by a previous owner so i am not worried about it. i bought a new tumbler at the zone ($35) and replaced it. no special tools necessary unless you count torx. oh, and i forgot the steering wheel puller (any mechanic should have one!) i ran out of light but all i have to do get the snap ring back on and im in the clear. brights went back on good and so did the flasher (i have had trouble in the past with both of these.)
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

There might be a small hole in the column that you can insert a nail or something similar to release the locking mechanism. I used to have to do this periodically with my Grand Prix when the key would stick. I took apart a ball point pen and just slid it up and it would push the release mechanism. I'm not sure if our LT1 cars have this, I don't feel like going out to look, lol.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joelster
There might be a small hole in the column that you can insert a nail or something similar to release the locking mechanism. I used to have to do this periodically with my Grand Prix when the key would stick. I took apart a ball point pen and just slid it up and it would push the release mechanism. I'm not sure if our LT1 cars have this, I don't feel like going out to look, lol.
my regal gs did that for years! such a PITA!! i finally took the cover off and put a strap around it. but no, these columns dont have that.

Quick Reply: key stuck in "on" position